Slew Rate Limiter does not seem to work as expected

I have been using the slew rate limiter, and if I set the rise time and fall time to both be equal, and then send it an alternating signal 0, 10, 0, 10 at a regular rate, I should see the output of the Slew Rate rise and fall equally, but this never happens.

I set the Slew Rate up to a filter to have an evenly rising and falling filter sweep, but the slew rates don’t seem to work. So I add a CV monitor and see that the fall rate is not the same as the rise rate.

Is there something about this CV plug-in that I don’t understand?

Also, I should note that I swear this wasn’t the case a year ago when I was using the Slew Rate Limiter successfully. I could be mistaken.

You could use few slew rate limiters in the line and make rise and fall time this same, but I suppose rise and fall time should last this same at this same setting, or we are wrong :wink:

1 Like

I can set the rise time to be twice that of the fall time, and the rise time is always fast and the fall time is what I set it at. So if even doubling the rise time doesn’t make it equal the fall time, adding another one probably won’t fix that. I think there is something weird about this plug-in, but I honestly believe when I was using it last this was not an issue at all, so I feel like something changed. Either it broke, or it doesn’t work as I currently believe it should.

2 Likes

Here is the simplest pedalboard to reproduce this.

Set up a Control To CV and assign it to a knob on the Mod, so it goes from zero to 10.
Have that go to a Slew Rate Limiter, and set both the rise time and fall time to 500ms.
Add a CV meter to the end of that, so you can see the results.

Now adjust the knob rapidly from zero to 10 - watch the meter, and it takes a short time to rise.
Now adjust the knob rapidly from 10 to zero - the meter will slowly fall based on the 500ms setting.

3 Likes