Sharing plugins manually from a device to another one without using the store

One of the goals of this thread is to be able to locate users of hard-to-find plugins.

3 Likes

I hope somebody was greedy enough to install just every available plugin, including betas :smiley:
This person would be very popular in our postapocalyptic life.

11 Likes

I canā€™t imagine that any plugin hasnā€™t been installed at least once.
And most are Open Source anyway. Or we know their creators. Worst case, we should be able to build them again.

3 Likes

I would not overcomplicated things. Everybody can use a file explorer pointed to the right directories.
And Iā€™m pretty shure that members of the mod team will assist with that.

3 Likes

At this point nothing is clear, and it is safer to count only in ourselves.
For sure, it will be better to get the full collection of compiled plugins from MOD team, but we have not a word from anybody in charge yet, and services are down.

While MOD wiki is up, thatā€™s my attempt to make an offline copy:

wget --mirror --convert-links --adjust-extension --page-requisites --no-parent https://wiki.moddevices.com/

And my attempt to clone all MOD repos at once:

curl -s "https://api.github.com/users/moddevices/repos?per_page=100" | jq -r ".[].git_url"   > list
cat list | sed s/git\:/https\:/g > list2
cat list2 | xargs -L1 git clone

Cloning forum would be nice too, but it relies on the JS so heavily, that I am not sure that plain leech copy will do.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a tomorrowā€™s problem. Saving assets should be #1 priority at this stage, imho.
Creating manuals or upload tool is not a rocket science exactly, but it is just too early for that yet.

P.S. tar.gz files are easily opened by 7-ZIP app.

4 Likes

True

1 Like

Also, is there any failover way of communication, if this forum will be shut down? Discord, telegram, whatever else? Some gathering point?

2 Likes

We just need to be aware that the restore function rewrite(erases) all data, correct?

Apart from the Facebook forum, I donā€™t know. And itā€™s not managed by the community

We have an unofficial discord server here MOD Devices Unofficial Community

10 Likes

How to find find the plugin folder based on the plugin name:
Could work like this when logged to the device in with ssh.
E.g. for ā€œInstrument Tunerā€

PLUGIN_NAME='Instrument Tuner'
dirname $(find /root/.lv2 -name '*.ttl' -exec grep -l "$PLUGIN_NAME" {} \;)

returns

/root/.lv2/tuna.lv2
3 Likes

What about the github repositories?

The same would be very helpful for all (newer) releases (including beta).

Iā€™ve made copy of every public MOD github repo overnight.

Thatā€™s about 18 GB of data, but I am not sure if nothing is corrupt, the script is quite basic and if there was an error, I could miss it.

Somewhere above Iā€™ve shared script I used for that, you might have a better solution.
For example you can make a shallow copy (only the latest commits without a history) to reduce a footprint and download time by making git clone --depth 1 instead of just git clone

2 Likes

Most probably, I have backup for all non-paid, non-beta plugins from my Mod Duo X, everything updated a couple of weeks ago. I recall myself installing just everything non-beta.

I had not installed all beta plugins unfortunately, and not sure if it is compatible with Dwarf, though.

Mod Duo, Mod Duo X and Mod Dwarf are different devices physically with different processors. I am pretty sure that MD is not binary compatible with others. Would be interesting to know if plugins for MDX and MDW are compatible.

1 Like

I donā€™t think they are. I think each device needs its own set

can someone from MOD confirm @gianfranco @falkTX ?

1 Like

In general Duox plugins work on the Dwarf, but not the other way around, the Duo is completely separate.

5 Likes

SSHFS (SSH File System) could help transferring plugins to/from device - using SFTP (SSH file transfer protocol).

Some people use GitHub to sync their Obsidian vault; could be useful as a user friendly replacement community ā€˜storeā€™/repo.

1 Like

to be honest, I think this is rushed panic action that does not really need to be taken.

getting most of the plugins is quite easy via mod-plugin-builder, that is where all the build rules and modguis come from, apart from a few commercial or closed source plugins.

the setup in https://github.com/moddevices/mod-live-usb/blob/main/plugins/Makefile can even be reused if we want to build everything while tracking their versions (auto rebuilds if something is updated)

I am personally interested on keeping the plugin store alive, be it with funding or without funding.
If company reboot does not happen, one possible plan to keep things online is to provide an alternative API endpoint that mod-ui can talk to, one that does not provide certain features (commercial plugins for one) but still allows to download plugins and perhaps update them from time to time.
the endpoint is a simple REST API, just json and binary files for plugins, so it is not complex to recreate in a new opensource form/project.

but it is best to wait a few more days until we have details on the company details.
if a reboot happens, it is likely we can just bring up the servers back online.

28 Likes