Send-Return

I’d like to connect an external pedal (maybe more than one!). Probably the right way is to use the unused In and Out (generaly number2)
BUT… the best way is a module (plugin) inserted in the chain with Send (out) and Return (in), a volume control for Send, volume control for Return and a in-out for the chain. In this way the external pedal/s can be inserted in the chain or bypassed.
There is something similar already ready for this? Any suggestion to compose it with the present plugin?

Thanks

2 Likes

Not sure how helpful this is, but I take an approach that I think is similar to what you describe with my pedalboards that are Mono and use amp/cab sim/IR:

• Guitar → Physical Pedal chain 1 (Mostly Drive pedals) → Dwarf In 1 (any additional drive stuff, amp sim, end with a MOD Gain plugin)

• Dwarf Out 1 → Physical Pedal chain 2 (Time, Modulation) → Dwarf In 2 (cab sim/IR, additional FX, end with a MOD Gain plugin)

• Dwarf Out 2 → FRFR cabinet

TL:DR - I use Dwarf Out 1 as FX Send and Dwarf In 2 as FX Return

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer. Yes, this could help but in this case you can’t exclude the external pedal.
Maybe an example could help.
I have (or better… I want to have…)
Guitar → external compressor (there ar’nt good compressor plugin) → external fuzz → dwarf in1 → plugin (I don’t know actually) → send to out2 → external tube drive → external muff (russian) → return in2 → more plugin → out 1
If the send-return is a plugin I can exclude the two external pedals.
Yes I must admit… I’m a Gilmour fan and I try to replicate his sound and also I have alot of phisical pedals

4 Likes

I think I understand. It seems like you want a loop switcher that will route your signal through an external pedal via a foot switch. Let me try something out.

1 Like

Thanks again… I’m not a programmer, only an electronics fan a resercher in microelettronics for job (now retired) and also… I’ve received my Dwarf yesterday and I’m still testing ad traing it!

2 Likes

Try this pedalboard out and see if it does what you are looking for. The one limitation I can think of is that you won’t get any “trails” effect.

3 Likes

Thanks for the pedalboard! It works!
You are right, there is no “trails” bat also there is a strange silence (less than 1 second) when I switch from on and off the loop switcher.
I don’t know if this is normal, anyway it’s a good starting point to study how to build a pedalboard.
I hope that someone in Mod want to consider a plugin for this function!

Another little question … for example… a pedalboard with Muff plugin… one part of the song need the drive at 4… another part at 10.
I must create two different pedalboards or there is a sort of “scene” of the same pedalboard?

1 Like

You can either use a preset for that plugin and assign it to a physical control or you can save a snapshot of your pedalboard and switch between snapshots.

3 Likes

which one of the two solutions is the most convenient in terms of usability, memory, management?

1 Like

In terms of usability, I’m not sure. It’s probably best to try both and see what options suit your needs the best. In terms of memory, I can’t imagine either would consume much memory, as they are just saved values for control positions. In terms of management, each provides different conveniences. A plugin preset persists across pedalboards because it’s saved with the plugin (this is a feature of LV2 plugins). A snapshot is nice because you get all the settings for all plugins on the pedalboard. Also, switching snapshots is instantaneous, so there’s no waiting for it to load, whereas switching pedalboards takes a few seconds.

2 Likes

Hmmm… I’m not experiencing any silence when switching using that pedalboard. I’m not sure what would be causing that. In my setup, the switching is instantaneous.

1 Like

BTW, thanks for this post. Because of it I now have a convenient way to do A/B comparisons between plugins and physical pedals!

6 Likes