Release 1.13.0-RC1

Hi there everyone, a release candidate for a new major release is here - v1.13.0-RC1 aka “for all MOD lovers out there”.

This release focuses on 2 main things - Separation of User and Factory content and toolchain updates.

Please note that this is a release candidate.
That means it might be stable, but needs widespread testing first to make sure.
If no issues are found in around 2-3 weeks we’ll release it as stable, otherwise we’ll do a RC2.

So, what’s new?

Separation of User and Factory content

In order to more easily differentiate between user-created pedalboards and those from the system (also called “factory pedalboards”), this update ships with pedalboards as part of the system contents.
Not just for a separation, this feature also allows us to easily ship updates of factory content to users.

This means future updates will not only bring features and updates, but also new pedalboards.

NOTE: This feature only applies to Dwarf units.

User and Factory pedalboard separation:

Similarly on the Banks view:

Toolchain updates

This is mostly useful for developers, specially those needing a C++17 compatible environment.

Starting with 1.13 the OS builds will use gcc9 with glibc2.38, allowing not only to build and run more recent codebases but also optimize them better.

This makes it possible to port plugins based on JUCE7 and also directly run some plugin builds done elsewhere (for example with a rust compiler).

Allow to privately share a pedalboard

A checkbox in the share dialog has been added, allowing to privately share a pedalboard.

Make sure to copy the link after sharing, as after you close the dialog you won’t see it again!

Add Bluetooth and WiFi firmware

MOD units will now ship with firmware for Bluetooth and WiFi drivers, so most Bluetooth and WiFi USB sticks can work out of the box without needing to manually place firmware files inside the unit’s system.

There’s also quite a few more changes and tweaks.
You can read the full changelog below.

Because this release is still under testing, for most users it won’t appear as an update in the web interface just yet.
You will have to manually download and apply the update file if you wish to try it out.
(Beta/Release testers, also known as ‘group 1’, receive this update as usual)

Here are the manual download links:
Duo: https://download.moddevices.com/releases/testing/modduo-v1.13.0.3068.tar
Duo X: https://download.moddevices.com/releases/testing/modduox-v1.13.0.3069.tar
Dwarf: https://download.moddevices.com/releases/testing/moddwarf-v1.13.0.3071.tar

The upgrade procedure is explained at the top of our releases page, here:
http://wiki.moddevices.com/wiki/Releases

Here’s the full changelog:

• Add a few handy modgui javascript utilities, bump API version to 3
  • Add plugin-specific “aidadspmodel” file type
  • Add Bluetooth and WiFi firmware
  • Adjust UAC2 gadget name and buffering details
  • Allow to privately share a pedalboard (new checkbox in share dialog)
  • Allow “see discussion” button on plugin information dialogs
  • Fix Duo name in Duo X and Dwarf zeroconf service names
  • Fix pedalboard screenshot generation
  • Fix trial watermark for systems without Arial font
  • Log exceptions thrown by modgui javascript code
  • Speed up pedalboard listing
  • Send “end” event to modguis just before deletion
  • Update Duo and Dwarf kernel to 6.1.11
  • Update base compiler and toolchain to gcc9 and glibc2.38

Dwarf specific:

• NEW: Split factory and user pedalboards and banks
  • Auto-delete banks.json and pedalboards in user data when they match factory content
  • System-level tweaks to make CPU load more consistent

We hope you’re enjoying your MOD unit.
Let us know if you find any issues.

20 Likes

Hi @falkTX - Do I need to do anything special to access the manual download links, they give me 404 Not Found (the links on the releases page seem to work…)?

1 Like

Getting a 404 on the DUO image.

[edit: actually on all the images]

1 Like

oh indeed, links now corrected.

4 Likes

Hmm, DUO image is not booting for me. HMI just sits on the boot screen and nothing happening on USB either.

1 Like

@falkTX will this be included in 1.13 ?

1 Like

No, needs to be postponed to a later date.
But discussion around it can happen directly on the PR

2 Likes

This was partially my error. This Duo unit didn’t do the obligatory nand-update yet.
After that the v1.13 image boots and we got fancy new wasm features!

(this is one of my own plugins I’ve been working on)

11 Likes

@falkTX i found an issue.
When a pedalboard is saving the CPU and the RAM consumption is rising and falling when it is finished - nothing to strange. But if you change the pedalboard mid saving period the device (DWARF) hangs.

2 Likes

Certain plugins appear as Trial Only and cannot be purchased:

3 Likes

Thanks for the headsup @dreamer. Was unrelated to 1.13 and is fixed now.

7 Likes

Oops, can’t see the difference so will report all issues :wink:

3 Likes

and that’s very appreciated!

3 Likes

Hi! I`m getting a weird “feedback like situation” together with sounds not being audible on Pedalboards working earlier. One even got deleted. Not on every board has this. Seems most still works. I´m no programmer, so I should probably stay away from the beta testing…

Running this version right now and i hope it’s only me but i am no longer able to switch pedalboards using midi PC ( i have a midi mouse plugged in via midi which used to be working fine before the manual upgrade).
Anyone else is seeing this?

1 Like

Works here for both pedalboards and snapshots. Maybe the channel changed in the Dwarf’s MIDI settings when you updated the firmware?

Nope still set to channel 1 the same one i was using before. I have tried to reboot both dwarf and midi device with no luck.
Not sure maybe the banks/pedalboards list got messed up since many new have been added. I am going to check that

Can confirm this issue on the RC1, happened when no bank has been selected yet.
Fixed on the next build, which is going to be final release.

5 Likes

cool stuff!