QWERTY midi

Anyone got a way of converting keystrokes from a standard QWERTY keyboard to midi notes, cc, or Program changes?
Bout to get me a dwarf and this seems like an easy idea for adding a whole bunch of additional controls.

2 Likes

Do you want that coming from a phone/tablet or computer?
I would say that from a computer that is a really simple Max MSP or Pure Data patch

1 Like

bome midi translator?

MIDI Translator Pro | Bome Software

2 Likes

Midikey2Key

or even just use Ableton Live as that has a keystroke MIDI keyboard built in

2 Likes

Iā€™ve written a virtual MidiKeyboard as LV2 plugin here:

But, here on the MOD we need to use javascript/css to grab the keyboard input while my solution (as also the other suggested ones) using xevents for that.

A example for using javascript for it is here:

2 Likes

Itā€™s not clear for me if you intend to simply plug in a keyboard on the usb-host port for this?

1 Like

there are projects to convert regular keyboard input into notes.

@brummer relying on web gui being open for this is not very practical.

in theory it is possible to open usb handles for hid events and listen to those.

3 Likes

Ableton is what gave me the idea.
The idea was to Plug a qwerty keyboard straight into the dwarf and then within a plug-in: map your QWERTY keystrokes to cvā€™s, loopers; or say a series of notes;

my idea - rip apart a QWERTY keyboard: build organ pedalboard using qwerty keyboard circuit : and have them trigger a virtual organ bass inside the dwarf.

4 Likes

The cheapest midi organ pedal board isā€¦ not cheap - but as organ pedals donā€™t need velocity - simple keystrokes on and off is all it needs- I was going to rip apart a cheap 25 key midi controller as an organ donor (pardon the pun) but a qwerty keyboard is so cheap: if thereā€™s a way to make it work Iā€™m all ears!

2 Likes

And if this is possible - it would give users a super cheap ā€œmidiā€ controller with heaps of buttons (alas no knobs or faders: but buttons can go along way)

2 Likes

Yea, my impression was (wrongly) to use it with the web editor and desktop keyboard.

1 Like

Hmmm, VMPC uses keyboard events to control the plugin as well, so hooking up a keyboard to a MOD unit for controlling a plugin isnā€™t the craziest idea imo.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s actually a really cool idea , maybe go one stage further and have joystick input too then I can be Tim exile all over again . I used to use a program VSTHOST to send midi out from a joystick years ago - a big thrustmaster flight stick. Was loads of fun dropping beats and modulating

3 Likes

As far as I know stuff like Playstation remote controllers can be already used. So somehow itā€™s what you are mentioning @Austin73

1 Like

OK will check it out when I finish work but only have xbox controllers these days - is there any particular plugin I need to use?

2 Likes

I donā€™t think so.
Take a look here. Not a lot of info, but I believe you should be able to simply map it. @falkTX am I correct?

1 Like

OK will definitely try later with the bits I have and feedback

Cheers for input

2 Likes

Ok so just got back from work - plugged in my XBOX One controllerā€¦

Holy FFFFFFF it works brilliantly . Just selected MIDI when you are looking to control the plugin, move the joystick or press a button and hey presto.

Just need either a way to select toggle instead of momentary, I think Iā€™m being a bit dumb tonight but just canā€™t work it out.

@falkTX can I connect it via Bluetooth, or does it have to be wired?

P.S Also tried my old Buzz Quiz controllers but thats a no Iā€™m afraid

3 Likes

OK had another quick go this morning pre shift this morning and really digging it now.

Think we need a dedicated plug of say 16 buttons that can be addressed to send out pc, cc, note etc as required. I know there are plenty of work arounds but it gets very messy very quick.

Also need to be able to connect via BT as this would really push the envelope. I used to use Wii controllers for a short while with glovepie if I remember correctly which Jon or James has messed with too?

There are plenty of little android / pc joysticks on Aliexpress etc that could be stuck on a guitar or synth for a bit of extra control.

And last point - do a proper video of a joystick being plugged in and used. Think it might be another ā€˜oh wow thatā€™s coolā€™ accolade to the MOD devices as donā€™t know any other hardware you can do that with.

Few finished rant

Have fun and stay safe

6 Likes

+1. I didnā€™t keep track but one of the most requested plugins. A mindi x16.

really like that - put it in the hands of a kid, assign chords to the buttons and a synth and see whatā€™s possible.

5 Likes