Plugin artwork?

If this is pure SVG, I must say it’s a good example!

I think the new buttons are a step back; they are more “abstract” than the rest of the design.
As a whole, I liked the first design better.
So it’s probably a game of knobs :smiley:

next to design, I’m eager to try these! :smiley:
that means they TRIGGER me, which is a good thing

6 Likes

imo this looks REALLY good!

5 Likes

Your work is really fine! I like it a lot. Only you asked if it is a step back. Visually it is a step back for me, but still it is absolutely fine. Please don`t misunderstand me. I just like the more realistic and playful “eye-candy” depictions more than the sober, objective ones. But that’s a matter of taste. That’s why I liked your first design better.

5 Likes

Perhaps the knobs are a matter of perceived quality. I didn’t like the first ones because knobs with that heptagonal shape are generally made of plastic, so it appears cheap to me. Plus I think that they are less clear to read their position. The second knobs you used are much clearer to read due to the simpler design

Maybe they can be tweaked to look more realistic, like a nice metal knob, without making it harder to read their position and still keeping them as an SVG? I think it would be nicer to keep them circular rather than a heptagon or some other shape. Seems like a nice design challenge!

4 Likes

Hello @FistfulOfStars ,

nice work indeed.
Now I have to relearn the interface i*m used to that looks like this.

Thanks for creating this.

Greetings and God bless, Marius

4 Likes

Woah, I’ve never seen that version before. Is that for the PC version or for a different hardware device? What is this Unify thing?

You just piqued my interest greatly.

4 Likes

Hello @FistfulOfStars ,

we are coming far off-topic, but I will tell you briefly what Unify is.
It is a standalone host for vst, vst3, AAX (and AU in case of Mac) plugins.
It is as well a plugin itself for all those formats.

It was invented for sound design by John Lehmkuhl.
It was created solely by developer Shane Dunne and his list of feature requests might be ten times as long as MOD*s one.

Because it saves all plugin states you can interchange sounds between different daws as well as PC and Mac. You will find a so-called manual here.

Greetings and God bless, Marius

5 Likes

I don’t get offended easily, especially when it comes to critiques of this kind. I’m doing this for the community, so your honest feedback is sincerely desired. Now, if this was a critique of the music I make for my own expression, that is where I have a very hard time not taking it personally. That’s why I don’t share my music very openly.

But anyway, I definitely see where you’re coming from, and I think there’s a happy middleground that I am still looking for, between “realistic and playful eye-candy” and the admittedly rather dry implementation I’m currently at. I hope I can find it!

4 Likes

I’ve tried to compromise between realism and ‘clean’ simplicity. What are your thoughts on this revision?

This is an actual SVG so I’m not 100% confident it will render correctly in all browsers, but you can zoom in for more detail. (right click and open the image in a new tab)

Top is the new one, bottom is the old.

KnobAttempt2

11 Likes

I like them both, but the top one is pretty :slight_smile: Also love that they’re SVG.

1 Like

You definitely did a good job on the top one! it looks very detailed for an .svg
I still think I prefer the bottom one if I’m honest. It’s nice and simple and similar to the plugin’s original GUI

3 Likes

The metal one looks cool! This is the right way to rpoceed, if you ask me. I like it much more as compared to the simple one. (so again… it is a question of taste…)

4 Likes

I like both! I think the top one does give it a bit more “tactile” sense that could make the buttons “pop” more.
Imagine a pedalboard with several of these, you should be able to glance all the parameter settings in a single view. A sense of directionality is important then.

I think it’s a good balance between “3D skeuomorphic” and the original “flat” design. Please give us a full render! :smiley:

5 Likes

Top job! +1 for the top knob.

5 Likes

Ok, I feel like I’m monopolizing this thread, so I’ll try to make this the last post about it. I’ll start a new post to discuss actually implementing this as a plugin GUI.

That said, here’s where it stands. I’ve adjusted the knobs to my own taste. I like the darker large knobs, though I’m still not sure about the ring surrounding them. I am quite pleased with the smaller knobs.

I’m worried it’s a bit boring, monochromatic, and all the knobs look the same - though I think that’s kind of hard to avoid.

Also, I tested it in both Firefox and Chromium, and Chromium doesn’t render the dragonfly wing well at all - at least at 100% zoom - But if I zoom in to 150% it looks fine. Anyone have any advice on that? I’m stumped.

Hope you all like it, as always feedback is welcomed.

Maybe I need to take a poll or something. Right now my feeling is that more people prefer the metal style, but I personally am happy with both designs.

Knobspin
Edit: Looks like the forum software purges any embedded javascript from the SVG (which is a good thing…) but makes it where I can’t show you an animation of the knobs turning :frowning:

Attempt3-Optimized

image301179

14 Likes

I think that looks fantastic! No worries about dominating the thread. I think that’s what this thread is for.

7 Likes

This looks fine! I love it!

5 Likes

I opened it in Chrome and kind of looks ok the rendering (and really good the graphics :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

The whole thing looks fantastic! Thanks for your efforts!

At this scale, the brown parts look slightly bland, but at the normal viewing distance it will be fine. If you wanted to address that, there are many templates to be found if you ask for “svg wood pattern” at the search engine of your choice.

5 Likes

These look really great.
I still don’t get the need for those “not-so-realistic”, realistic looking knobs and the wood panels.

these would be enough for me:

image image

8 Likes