Pitch shifting tracking

How is the tracking on the pitch shifter? Is it polyphonic? How does it compare to a POG2? Also how much latency does it add?

Anybody have any feedback? There is a lack of demos of the different effects, so it’s hard to invest in a product that I have not heard.

I haven’t played with a mod yet, but in general stomps like the POG2 use a dedicated ASIC chip to do the processing with hardware, whereas the MOD is using a generic processor like your computer does so its not as fast and adds more latency for tasks as complex as pitch shifting. AFAIK there is no direct equivalent of the POG2 but MOD has polyphonic pitch shifters (i.e. MOD Super-Capo) and the cool thing is you can build your own POG2 by using several of these together. Pitch shifting is a hard thing to do (try to guess what frequency a sound is before it completes a full cycle!) so you might be disappointed if you were getting this just for pitch shifting instead of a digitech whammy or EHX hog/pog etc. But with all the other stuff that this does without any noticable latency, I think they’ve got a pretty good thing goin’. And I haven’t actually tried the pitch shifting on mod yet (just other shifters on my computer), so we may be pleasantly surprised by the results. If not you could always hook a whammy or POG up to the mod to get the best of both worlds.

All of the plugins are available outside of mod environment since they are open source. If you are technically minded you can try most of them by booting a live USB of kxstudio or AVLinux.

I would like to hear some more demos of the mod pitchshifters, so maybe I should take my own advice and try them on desktop and post the recordings. If I do I’ll let you know.

Hi, Dapeegoo! I wrote the code of the pitch shifters, so I think I can answer some of your questions.
The pitch shifters are polyphonic, and they don’t track the note you are playing. Only the Harmonizers are monophonic, because they do a monophonic tracking of the notes. The latency varies with the plugins, if I’m not mistaken, with a buffer of 128 samples and a sample rate of 48kHz (MOD Duo configuration), the lantencys are:

Drop - 18,67ms
Capo - 29,33ms
SuperCapo/SuperWhammy - 40ms

I don’t remember the latency of the harmonizers, because the tracking adds an extra latency. This values maybe have changed, because other members of MOD team are still maintaining the code and making it better, since I left the team.

I’ve never used a POG2, so I can’t compare their pitch shifters with the pitch shifters I wrote.

I hope I’ve helped you with something
Kind Regards,
Couts

3 Likes