Out of tune Midi

Hi all, I have an oddity going on. I have two midi keyboards going into my Dwarf, one via the midi channel and one going via the USB. If I plug them into synths, either 2 separate ones or both into one, then they are both around 1 1/2 steps higher than the note they should be playing, i.e. middle C comes out as a high C#. As it is happening with 2 totally different keyboards, connecting via different routes, I’m guess the problem is within the Dwarf, not in the units themselves. Is there an adjustment I can make within the unit? I tried using the Midi transpose plugin, but that only allows me to shift by one note.

I have almost no knowledge about midi, but could it be related to the clock source setting?

1 Like

Possibly - I know little myself.

Then use the big button left from the dwarf’s display → go to “settings” with the middle button → go to “Sync” → the Clock Source is set to “Internal” on my device.
You could try whether it makes a difference if you select “midi” or “internal”

But I’m just guessing :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I remember there was some kind of 1-off error with midi, because some controller start counting with 1 and others with zero. But I don’t know if that is related to your problem…

2 Likes

That sounds possible

Never had this with the any Mod device. I would try to see if you can change transpose on the midi controller itself. I have this problem on the school I work that one piano is always a semitone to high and needs adjusting. Hope it`s not something contagious :wink:

I have never noticed anything like that on my MDX, while I played a lot with midi capabilities of MOD.
Considering that both keyboards are affected, I would bet on one of your keyboards sending unwanted pitchbend data.
Due to the nature of the MIDI protocol, pitchbend is a separate message, and if one keyboard had sent it at one moment - synth would get that pitch offset for notes triggered by other keyboard as well.

To test the idea, try to check the result with the only one keyboard connected at a time, and try to move pitchbend wheel a bit, to reset values that could be left from the another keyboard.

P.S. I’ve just noticed this part - “either 2 separate ones”, but my guess can be still valid, because even if the keyboard sending faulty pitchbend had been disconnected, synth will still remember the last pitchbend message received.

2 Likes

Could be a stuck Pitch Bend. Have you tried using the Pitch Bend wheel on either keyboard? That might reset it if that’s the issue.

2 Likes

Turns out those who said “pitch bend wheel” were all probably right, it was certainly one of the keyboards causing the problem - I unplugged it and all returned to being in tune. Thanks all.

7 Likes