Noob sequencer control mapping question

Hi, I’m having trouble mapping the 4x4 grid on my Sensel Morph production pad to the dwarf sequencer. I can assign it, and the “note on” message is received fine, but once the note is on, hitting the mapped button again will not turn it off. The little midi monitor says I’m sending midi pitch info, would changing the sensel to output midi control or program fix this? I’ll have to not overlap with my K-step which is mostly on “toggle” sending control signals so I guess I should look up a midi channel list or something? any advice would be appreciated

I am really clueless on this, but have been using the Dwarf to sequence and control my Typhon Dreadbox, and it’s generally easy and sounds so great.

1 Like

This may be something on the Sensel side.
I guess that what is happening is that the controller never sends a note-off message, so when the second note-on message is sent, the Dwarf considers it as a note-off for the previous note-on.
Can you confirm this with the MIDI monitor?

1 Like

the Dwarf sequencer doesn’t seem to be registering any note-off, the note-pad on the sequencer stays lit persistently, if it was just a matter of double-tapping to register note-off I wouldn’t mind. I agree though, I think it’s likely on the sensel side. I know I can change what type of midi signals it sends, but the pitch midi should work right? I don’t need to change it to program or control?

I’ll mess with it more today and see if I can figure it out, or get more info

1 Like

I got a bit confused with your answer @oeSmash. Sorry about that.
Overall I think the best way to start troubleshooting that is to use a MIDI monitor and understand what the Sensel is sending. Have you tried that?

1 Like

Sorry I tend to ramble!!! Yeah I worked it out with the midi monitor, I changed Sensel app so the pad outputs midi program changes, then the on/off worked fine once assigning— unfortunately though, the Sensel is only 4x4. I was hoping to use a midi plugin to shift those cc numbers with a button press so I could then assign the remaining 16 pads on the sequencer I’m using to the same 4x4 on the sensel. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like controller mapping works like that, and the assignment function reads whatever is pre-plugins…

I’m not sure what midi loopback is, but I suspect that would solve my problem and give me that second set of assignable values I need if I still want to use the sensel to control the sequencer. I will try that, but I may end up not using the sensel for this (usually I’m using the drums overlay or the keys overlay with the Dwarf, but I wanted to see if I could get an easy dreadbox-sequencing-setup going…

I may be going about this the entirely wrong way at this point— an octave up/down would easily allow me to use a sequencer larger than 4x4 with 4x4 controls if I could figure out how to get the midi note on/off signals working how I’d like for optimal sequencer use…

1 Like

Basically, the Virtual MIDI loopback works like connecting a physical cable from the MIDI out port back to the MIDI in. It does that while you can keep the physical ports free 8)

2 Likes