Noise (noob here, thanks)

Hi I’m a noob here with a new Mod Dwarf, lovin’ it apart from the electrical noise that, I now realise isn’t a new thing for those of you here.

Sorry to sound like an echo of days gone by, but is there a fix for this?

Thanks, Sarren :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome! The noise subject has been discussed many times here with solutions ranging from a few dollars (non-grounded power supply) to the very expensive (active DI solution). Which solution works for you will depend on how you’re using your system and the various connections. I think the 2 easiest and cheapest things to try are:

1. get another IEC cable (like the very short one included with the Dwarf) and pull out the ground pin, or use a cable without ground pin (not sure where you are geographically).
  2. try another 12V power supply with a 5.5/2.1mm barrel connector that supplies somewhere ~2A (though many have reported not needing that much power)

If either of those things work, you’re in luck :slight_smile:

2 Likes

of course, the zero-cost solution is to enable ground loop compensation on the dwarf’s settings. It comes at the cost of some CPU cycles, but again, costs no money.

2 Likes

when you talk about noise what cables do you have connected? Changes the noise if you disconnect it from usb?

1 Like

hi everyone,

thanks for replies … yes I’ve rad through other threads and realise there are many options but so far, none of the above worked …

that is until as a last resort I went through the ‘box of a thousand cables’ that is underneath cobwebs in the shed, cables that have been with me through 4 re-locations that I’ve been collecting ‘just in case’ for the last 20 years

and behold, a power supply that kills the sound and delivers a clear signal

please join me in giving praise to the ‘box of a thousand cables’ that we keep ‘just in case’ :smile:

11 Likes

Glad it worked out, @Darren_Poyzer !!

All hail the mighty Box of a Thousand Cables!

May our spouses acknowledge that the Box of a Thousand cables – along with the nuts & bolts jar and the cup full of twist-ties – one day will save their lives!

12 Likes