New grid theme for mod-ui

Hi all! Wanted to add some fresh features to mod-ui, all vibe coded. Feel free to contribute to improve any aspect.

mod-ui grid-theme - a new editor, TONE3000, and a real file manager

This branch is a superset of master. Everything the default mod-ui does still works; on top of it:

  • A second front-end: the Grid theme (/grid.html)

A Fractal-Audio-FM3-Edit-style editor that lives alongside the classic one. Plugins are uniform blocks laid out in a configurable row/column grid with a single auto-wired signal chain - no hand-dragged cables. Parameters are edited in a bottom panel that shows the plugin’s real skin on one side and a clean generic control list on the other. It has its own plugin store (Patchstorage), snapshot/bank navigation, and layout/zoom controls. One click switches between the two themes.

  • TONE3000, built in

Browse the TONE3000 catalogue and pull NAM captures straight into your Neural Amp Modeler, without leaving mod-ui. Files land under NAM Models and show up immediately in the plugin’s model list. In the classic theme it opens the TONE3000 catalogue in a window; in the Grid theme it’s a native browser right in the panel - search, filter by architecture and model size (nano / feather / lite / standard, so you can pick something a Pi can actually run), pick a whole tone or individual captures, with a live download progress bar. One account sign-in, then nothing else to configure.

  • An Explorer-style file manager

Tree on the left, icon or detailed list view on the right, drag-and-drop to move files between folders, upload, rename, delete - all served same-origin so it just works in the browser.

  • Under the hood

Headless Power Off / Reboot that actually powers off, guards against snapshots and banks silently losing data, and a full automated test suite (HTTP-level characterization tests + a frontend test harness) with CI.

  • Installing it

Run it from a checkout of the branch and you have everything. For a device that runs mod-ui as a package, scripts/deploy-tone3000/deploy.sh patches an existing install in place - grid theme, TONE3000, file-manager backend - with automatic backups and rollback. See the README.

5 Likes

Cool idea! I was already thinking about how to support different visual modes/themes since it’s a very personal taste of each user and we could develop many alternative themes!

2 Likes

When I read this post I was very skeptical, since I love MOD’s user interface… but after taking a look at the screenshots in the repository, I have to admit that your theme looks really great!!! :+1:

1 Like

Wow! I really like the file manager!

About the grid, I’m not really sure. I have to try it, because what I really like about MOD is the freedom to wire things however you want.

Nonetheless, I had the same idea of clicking on a plugin and editing its parameters at the bottom (even though there isn’t a screenshot showing how you’ve implemented it).

Great source of inspiration! Thanks! :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks, to me the stock theme is not that user friendly, I prefer to avoid messing around with moving things back and forth and “wasting time” trying to mimic real life cables management. Is it fancy for sure but not so “productive” :wink:

If you see what monstrosities some users create on this forum you will understand why it won’t fit on a nice grid :laughing: But I’m totally for it!

1 Like

I totally agree, what I need to understand better is this phrase: “a single auto-wired signal chain”.

auto-wired is my fear :slight_smile: ok for a default, but I still want the freedom to change it.

1 Like

Of course you can change it, just auto-wires adjacent blocks when you drop one of them. You can always drag cables around or change assignments in the block settings. I’m going to publish a screenshot to show the block settings view.

2 Likes

Click a plugin block to open its editor at the bottom: the plugin’s own graphical interface on the left and generic controls on the right. Both views edit the same plugin. The panel includes presets, audio-port connections, an Active switch, parameter reset buttons, and file selectors for plugins that use audio files, impulse responses or models. Drag the panel edges to resize it; the plugin skin has independent zoom controls.

Audio File selected in the Grid theme, with its graphical interface and parameters in the bottom panel

3 Likes