Need help creating headless PC

Hi Guys,

Just wondered if I could ask for PC nerds amongst us for help.

I recently bought a little Intel NUC PC, with a view to running it headless with TOUCHOSC Bridge, Bomes MIDI translator and maybe RTPMIDI.

I’ve got it so all programs start from boot but for the life of me I can’t find how to bypass the logon screen. Thus making it not headless.

I’ve tried Netplwiz but it seems it wants an Internet connection which the NUC won’t have as it will be on a pedal board.

Has anybody got any ideas or advice. I’m currently running WINDOWS 10 Home on it but happy to try a different OS if that solves the problem. Although it will have to be Windows due to the software I want to use. ( I’m also making a multifx unit in the vein of Eventide H9000 out of an old PC and Brainspawn Forte so would come in hand for that too)

Fingers crossed

Austin

Here is a thing to try: How to remove the login password from Windows 10 and Windows 11 - Lenovo Support GB

Finally managed it, I needed to tweak regedit a couple of times but then Netplwiz worked.

You

i want to disable logon screen windows 10

Copilot

Certainly! To disable the login screen in Windows 10, you have a few options. Let’s explore them:

1. Using Windows Settings:
  • Press the Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
  • Navigate to Accounts > Sign-in options.
  • Scroll down to the Require sign-in section and set the dropdown menu to Never.
  • That’s it! You’ve successfully disabled the Windows sign-in requirement4.
  1. Using the Registry Editor:
  • Press the Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog.
  • Type in regedit and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
  • Navigate to the following path:
  • On the right side pane, double-click the DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion DWORD.
  • Change the decimal value to 0.
  • Close the Registry Editor and restart your PC.
  • Now you’ll have the “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer” option under User Accounts/netplwiz1.
  1. Using netplwiz:
  • Press the Windows Key + R and type in netplwiz, then press Enter.

• In the User Account settings, select the user account you want to disable the login screen for.

• Uncheck the box that says “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”.

• Enter the username and password associated with the computer (or click OK if you never had a password set).

• Click OK to save the changes2 3.

Remember that having a login password is a good security practice, but if you’re sure about disabling it, follow the steps above. If you encounter any issues, feel free to ask for further assistance! :blush:.

Source(s)

1. How to Disable Sign-Ins on Windows 10 - MUO

2. How do I disable the Windows 10 Login screen?

3. How To Disable The Windows 10 Login Screen | Ubergizmo

4. How to Disable the Windows 10 Login Screen - MajorGeeks

5. How to Disable Login Screen in Windows 10/11. - WinTips.org

6. Getty Images

Copilot

disable logon screen windows 10

You

option 1 isnt available on my windows 10 screen

Copilot

I apologize for the inconvenience. Let’s explore an alternative method to disable the login screen in Windows 10:

1. Using netplwiz:
  • Press the Windows Key + R and type in netplwiz, then press Enter.
  • In the User Account settings, select the user account you want to disable the login screen for.
  • Uncheck the box that says “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”.
  • Enter the username and password associated with the computer (or click OK if you never had a password set).
  • Click OK to save the changes .

Give this method a try, and if you encounter any further issues, feel free to ask for additional assistance! :blush:

You

i dont have a check box on my computer

Copilot

I apologize for the inconvenience. It seems that the “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer” checkbox is not available on your system. Let’s try an alternative method to disable the login screen:

1. Using Group Policy Editor:
  • Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog.
  • Type gpedit.msc and press Enter to open the Group Policy Editor.
  • Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon.
  • Look for the policy named “Always use custom logon background”.
  • Double-click on it, select Disabled, and click OK.
  • Close the Group Policy Editor and restart your computer.

This method should prevent the login screen from appearing. If you encounter any further issues or need additional assistance, feel free to ask! :blush:

You

dont have group policy editor?

Copilot

I apologize for the inconvenience. If you don’t have access to the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) on your Windows 10 Home edition, you can still disable the login screen using an alternative method. Let’s proceed with the following steps:

1. Using the Registry Editor:
  • Press and hold the Windows Key + R to open the Run window.
  • Type regedit and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
  • In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following path:
  • If the MMC key doesn’t exist, create it by right-clicking on Microsoft, selecting New > Key, and naming it MMC.
  • Inside the MMC key, create a new DWORD value named RestrictToPermittedSnapins.
  • Double-click on RestrictToPermittedSnapins and set its value to 0.
  • Close the Registry Editor.

This change should prevent the login screen from appearing. If you encounter any further issues or need additional assistance, feel free to ask! :blush:.

Source(s)

1. How to Enable the GPEdit.msc on Windows 10 and 11 Home?

2. FIX: Windows 10/11 doesn’t have Group Policy Editor - Windows Report

3. How to Solve Windows 10 Cannot Find Group Policy (gpedit.msc)? - AOMEI

4. How To Enable Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) In Windows 10 Home

5. How to Open the Group Policy Editor on Windows 10 - How-To Geek

6. en.wikipedia.org

You

that didnt work

Copilot

I apologize for the inconvenience. Let’s try another approach to disable the login screen in Windows 10:

1. Using the Command Prompt:
  • Press the Windows Key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin) or Windows PowerShell (Admin).
  • Type the following command and press Enter:
  • In the User Accounts window, uncheck the box that says “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”.
  • Click OK to save the changes.

This method should prevent the login screen from appearing. If you encounter any further issues or need additional assistance, feel free to ask! :blush:.

4 Likes