My Thoughts on the Mod Dwarf (pros and cons and wishes)

I am new here and would like to add to the hardware claim here.

The feat you guys reached with the available resources is astonishing. I am a proud owner and every one of my friends that get to see it in action feel like they would love to have one too. The thing is that many times experimenting with the device you reach the 100% mark.

I don’t fully agree with the OP that the device is not perfect. It is for what it currently has available as resources, but a more powerful version with built-in bluetooth, better ground control, noise reduction, maybe an expression pedal built-in, would make it a final pro version used anywhere from home studio to the stage and professional recording.

I have an extra nitpick that nobody has addressed before it seems: please, add a power on/off button. I mainly use it in my home studio where it lays on my desk and I have to plug/unplug the power. I would love to discover that I am really dumb and there is an easy way to switch it on/off on demand without plugging/unplugging but I’ve read the manual and it seems that if I am dumb, it is not because of missing any instruction here.

Keep up the goodt work :slight_smile:

Kind regards from :brazil:

3 Likes

There’s always noise with high gain setup, whatever the gear you use, isn’t there?
At least as far as I’m concerned, every OD pedals and preamp I own produce some kind of noise or hiss when switched on, even when nothing is plugged in their input socket…

I know it also partly with hardware devices.
But do you need the noise in a software plugin?
I would find it more useful if you could optionally switch the noise on or off.

@KuRi Use the Portal plugin between AidaX and cab. This will bring down the CPU consumption as well.

3 Likes

@Kim

The improvement here has been HUGH. Somehow I thought the portal was only useful for stereo dual chain processing… THANKS!!!

I am just 2 steps away from using the MOD on my next gig!

3 Likes

@KuRi That’s cool! Happy to read that. I am a real fan of the Dwarf, I use even two of them, because I am playing mandoline, mandoguitar, guitar and at last I am singing. So I need two!

2 Likes

@KuRi
there are still new MOD DUO X out there to purchase from new -
as my setup is double of that a guitarist usually uses I went for that as an alternative. Look at my Processor Count:

…running on safe under 40% without spiking ever.

That said, agreed to wishing for a faster Dwarf-Version myself -
I love its footprint

1 Like

@Kopplog How is that even possible? LOL

As long as I insert a couple of plugins my cpu is over 40%…
My RAM is at 25% when the pedalboard is empty!!!

is the mod duo x more powerful than the dwarf?

Is there any test I can do to know if my unit is correctly working?

P.D: ahh, I see, the mod duo x has more cpu and ram! Damn… I need a mod duo x now!

1 Like

@KuRi :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :joy: Or two Dwarfs…

1 Like

@Kim Once I get 7 dwarfs can I be called SnowWhite? :smiley:

9 Likes

@KuRi :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :rofl: :rofl: :joy: :sweat_smile: Yes! indeed…

1 Like

…I had a Dwarf, and went for a DUO X…

@Kopplog
I have already bought mine on ebay, waiting for it to arrive xDDD

On the subject of noise another thread.

I would find that

useful.

Does the DuoX have an on/off switch on the unit?
Then you have a device with the 6 CPU’s, if not a LE version with 4 CPU’s.

I couldn’t agree more.

In spite of the brilliant idea of these products, there are some problems hard to accept from such a powerful device. My MOD DUO X is probably one of the best piece of gear I’ve ever had but unfortunately it’s not reliable for live performances AT ALL.

I had a huuuge humming on the original power supply that also many other users on the forum faced to. It was impossible to use the unit with a medium-high volume. I solved this problem only by replacing the original power supply with a cheap one.

I use two MOD pedal switches and I still have problems with the LAN connection. I tried all the cables on the market besides the original one, from the cheapest to the most expensive and still have LAN issues from time to time. The MOD team didn’t provide a support or at least an explanation for this.

Maybe I would skip this problem and use the MOD DUO X live without pedal switches. The unit is so good and tempting to take the risk and use it on stage. But unfortunately there is another problem much worse than the ones mentioned. The power plug doesn’t make proper contact inside the unit so the power cuts out at the slightest movement of the unit. This happens also with the original power supply. The problem could not be solved by the two electronic engineers, friends of mine, whom I asked for technical support.

So unfortunately I had to keep my distance from this amazing device and never use it on stage. Sadly.

1 Like

I want to comment again because I have spent lot of hours tweaking and fixing as much as I could and now the unit is completely usable at live (for my purposes).

• The expander helped me with the noise (a lot)
  • The portal helped with the CPU issue (massive improvement)
  • I was able to tweak the source code for the midi plugin and recompile the lib so I can limit the number of voices at the same time. This way the cpu usage is limited and no cracking noises appear. Anyway when playing synths with the guitar, I don’t need more than 6-12 voices at the same time. This was a stopper for me until I fixed it some hours ago :wink:

I still think the device is impressive, and I have also bought a mod duo x and will keep supporting the team as much as I can. However, now I think this is a device oriented to technical people, who wants and likes to spend time adjusting, trying and playing at low levels. I am that kind of person, so I am having looooot of fun with it.

To be a commercial success, it needs to be more user-friendly. So please keep up the good work and good luck! Just let me know when you release the Dwarf X :smiley:

5 Likes

I’ve never tried a MODswitch, but midi works perfectly, it may be your way out of this mess !

isn’t it just a solder joint that failed at the connector in the DuoX?

1 Like

Yes, midi works perfectly but sometimes I have to restart the MOD X several times until the switches get seen by the unit (even though everything is connected correctly the switches are not recognized from the first switching the power on). Some other times when the unit is functioning correctly and everything is ok, one of the pedal switches stops functioning and the screens of the pedal light off. There is a connection problem if not a software error.

Yes, it’s a matter of incorrect diameter. I tried many power supply adaptors but I have still the problem. One of my friends adjusted those little connectors inside the joint in order to increase the contact…but the contact is still insecure. So the power still cuts off….

In the wiki page you can find the specs of the jack for the power supply :
The plug diameter of the power supply must be Φ5.52.1*10mm *
It’s the same for the Dwarf, so you could use some of the ones listed here : https://forum.mod.audio/t/mod-dwarf-background-noise-by-power-supply/

I use this one daily :

And I have this one that works too :

1 Like

Thanx, ROM, for your support. You always reply to my posts :pray:t3:
I use the correct power supplies according to the specifications but unfortunately none of them seem to work properly. It must be a very little diameter building error inside the power connection of the MOD. My engineer friend checked the solder of the power connection inside the MOD and everything is ok. I will try as a final attempt the Thomann power supply you recommended. Thanx again!

2 Likes