More audio inputs?

Thanks Rolego, I’m sure lots of people here will love it! :+1:t3:

Any updates on this, now that the Dwarf is a bit more stable? I’d love to get my Motu M4 routing in and out of my Duo X — it detects cleanly, and I’m game to start digging into manual config once I get the unrelated networking issue I’m having sorted, but it would be nice if it had gotten a bit easier in the mean time. :slight_smile: Having more than two audio channels available makes the whole device more useful to me than e.g. three separate two channel devices would be, because it adds possibilities for e.g. compressor side-chaining, etc.

3 Likes

No updates in actual work done for this yet, sorry.

We made a plan for it though, we will go with a plugin as a way to add support for this. Which works for both the unit as audio device, and using external usb devices.

Short-term we are prioritizing giving the new 1.11 dwarf features to the duox on a 1.12 release.

12 Likes

Glad to hear it’s in the pipeline. I’ve got a couple of dwarves around that I can use in the mean time, although that makes getting wired ethernet working much more important, to be able to configure multiple pedals at once.

I cannot tell you how excited I am for this. I’ve been wanting to run my entire electronic set up consisting of three Elektron boxes (OT, MD, MnM), a eurorack case, Nord Modular, Norns and Aleph (monome), all through a single effects processor and midi hub. I really do not want to get a mixer for this, but just an interface connected to the Mod Duo X. This is such a dream.

1 Like

It could get even better! There’s a project which enables Overbridge for Linux: https://github.com/dagargo/overwitch
As far as I can see, there are good chances that this would work on Mod hardware as well. Imagine plugging your three guys via Overhub into the Duo X where you can add some effects to all of the single tracks. :open_mouth:
What’s your opinion @falkTX?

5 Likes

very interesting project. I need to get my hands on one of those, to see how well the project works.
assuming it works fine as-is, repackaging it as a plugin would probably be pretty straight forward :thinking:

6 Likes

Just want to resurface my excitement and a friend of mines excitement for interface audio inputs and possible overbridge style effects processing. I’d own 3 minimum. 1 for guitar/vocals/polysynth duties, 1 for electronic setup effects processing and midi hub, and another for daw session effects chains.

1 Like

Well I have one of those hardware devices with me now, but didnt do any testing yet.
When I do, will post here results.

7 Likes

Wow, awesome. I’m stoked to hear what happens :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just bumping to ask if you were able to test the mod duo as a plugin instance (over-bridge style)? Also is there any loose idea of what release the interface extension for more i/o is tied to? I’m looking to get a motu ultralite (similar footprint) for the i/o duties. Thanks!

2 Likes

On this one, I can answer you. Currently, that is not on the roadmap (at least yet).

This one needs to be @falkTX

oh man this is sick!

2 Likes

@falkTX did you give it a try? Using this jack client with the Digitakt/syntakt would be killer. Mod dwarf next level :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, the tool works but has issues if we send MIDI to it, or a use more than 2 audio channels.
I was hoping a generic plugin could work for all hw models, but the IO is quite different between them…
So I lost a bit of motivation as I do not want to do 5 different but very similar plugins to handle these devices.

Best would be some way to show external jack clients on the pedalboard constructor, allowing plugins to interact with them. That is just an idea for now, dont know how that could work yet.

5 Likes

have you thought about posting an issue on github?

1.0 is around the corner…

would really like to push this forward somehow.

cheers max

1 Like

I mostly have coded in Swift for the past 7 years, but would love to help contribute in any way to help make this possible. It’d be an absolute game changer for me. If a well described issue was opened on GitHub, I’d absolutely give it a go.

3 Likes

fyi: midi input seems to be fixed → https://github.com/dagargo/overwitch/issues/32

3 Likes

Hi, just curious if something happend here in the last year. I am currently experimenting with single-string recording and am looking for a way to use the 6 audio streams with an effects unit. With 6 inputs, my Dwarf probably wouldn’t be able to do much, but it should be enough for simple things.

For my Duo X this hack (change SOUNDCARD in mod-hardware-descriptor.env to the interface, remove the lines with MOD_SOUNDCARD in ‘mod-ui.run’) doesn’t work anymore. The web interface still shows two audio I/Os and the LED of output channel 2 blinks red. Gonna check the logs to see what’s going on…