Modsdk on macOS

Hey,

I’m trying to get modsdk running on MacOS (M1) to contribute some png → svg conversions.

I’d love to get it running locally so I can test changes before pushing.

I’m able to install most dependencies via brew & pip.

I am unable to install Pyinotify. Is there anyway I can hack it to not need it to launch?

It looks like a longer term fix might be changing pyinotify to watchdog. From what I can tell it’s cross platform and can do the same things.

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

pyinotify is optional, so you can remove it from the deps on your local repo.

the biggest pain point for mod-sdk is actually the quite old version of tornado it uses, which is no longer compatible with most recent python3 (since 3.10)

if you have a dwarf or duox you can run it directly on the unit.
the images in Developer Images - MOD Wiki provide it accessible through the device, though these image versions are quite old by now too…

2 Likes

Thank you.

I’m not familiar with python, is that as simple as removing it from requirements.txt?

I do have a dwarf, I’ll also explore running it from there.

1 Like

yes, assuming you are using the usual pyenv things. or whatever the “proper” way of that is now…

1 Like

It looks like I’m now hitting the Tornado issue you mentioned previously.

Going to see if I can work out how to use an earlier version of python. Do you think 3.8 would be ok?

1 Like

Nice to see some progress on this.
I’m using Python 3.10.9. To make it work I use some hacks. For tornado, I use this one:

3 Likes

Thanks both for your input here. I’ve spent another couple of hours hacking around this evening and I just can’t get it too work :sweat_smile: . I don’t know any python so I’m at the mercy of ChatGPT and StackOverflow.

I’ve got as far as the grey screen telling me I need to load some LV2 plugins, and some terminal error messages saying it can’t find the default pedal board (FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/opt/homebrew/opt/python@3.9/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/share/mod-sdk/html/resources/templates/pedal-default.html').

I use my Dwarf regularly, so I don’t feel comfortable downgrading it. @falkTX do you think it would be possible to get an up to date developer image?

I’m keen to contribute the png → svg conversions, but I don’t like the thought of committing ‘blind’ with no local testing.

As an alternative, I will try Linux Emulation next time I get a few hours :slight_smile:

Edit: one more thought. I do have an RPi 4. Perhaps I can access that remotely in some way. But I’m not sure if the ARM processor makes it more complicated.

1 Like