MOD presents the AIDA-X and dives into Neural Modelling

Ah! I was thinking of another DAW! Sorry about that.

Holy tonal revival Batman!

I finally started downloading some of the shared models on my Dwarf and I cannot believe how good it sounds. Idk what kind of voodoo magic is going into this but I hope it never stops.

My latest addictionā€¦downloading and trying out whatever the community is uploading.

7 Likes

Let us know what youā€™re favourites are!

2 Likes

Iā€™ll let you know as I go. I grabbed a Princeton plug-in off of one of the uploaded packs that I absolutely love. Iā€™m using cleaner amps with pedals as my tonal style sits somewhere between Cory Wong and The Edge. The AIDA is a game changer.

5 Likes

Agreed!
Now that I experimented with high gain models, Iā€™m trying to see how I can create my own clean/edge of breakup models, based on the blend of clean amps and some Eqā€™ing. it is cool that I can create this sound in an asynchronous fashion in my daw and then transport it in an ultra portable fashion to my Dwarfā€¦or other projects in other DAWs!

5 Likes

This is interesting! Iā€™m thinking to experiment with my Fender Blues DeLuxe over the weekend or early next week with two different (condenser and dynamic) mics with variable placement and distances from the cone.

4 Likes

Iā€™m just thinking, if I feed the training model a capture of a preamp output (hence no power amp/cabinet) as an input, and a caprture of the same preamp, only this time with a power amp + a cabinet, as a target, will the model then be just the model of [a power amp + a cabinet], so that in the Dwarf signal chain it would be possible to recreate a proper ā€˜4-cableā€™ scenario using two instances of AIDA, first emulating the pre-amp, and the second - [the power amp + the cabinet], with some effects before the pre-amp, and some - in between the pre and power amps?

1 Like

My guess is that you should acquire separately the preamp output and the [preamp + cabinet] output with an unprocessed input.

Z

That way, as far as I undrstand, I will get separate models for [pre] and [pre+cab], which is not exactly what Iā€™m tryinna achieve.
The goal si to have [pre] - some effects in-between - [cab].
So what I do is:
(A) send a clean singal through the preamp to get the target.wav of a preamp, then feed the model with a clean original input.wav and the captured preamp target.wav, resulting in a model of the preamp;
(B) run the same clean signal (the original input.wav) through the full stack to get the target.wav of a full stack. Then I feed the preamp signal - captured in (A) above! - as an input.wav and the full stack tone as a target.wav, thus telling the neuro model to filter out preamp signal out of the total tone of the stack, so what remains is a power amp + cabinet signal. Profit!

I donā€™t think I can achieve the same just capturing the clean signal run through the power amp input, 'cos the input levels of the clean signal and the preamp out will b hard to match on the power ampā€™s input.

In an ideal world ā€œfiltering outā€ preamp signal out of the total tone should be the same as providing clean input to the final stage. And having a clean model of the final stage could be more easily reusable with different first stage models

I think it could be interesting to compare the results of both approaches

@falkTX So I have a quick question. On the amp model portion of the AIDA-X interface will we get the ability to assign menu selection to a knob? I would love to be able to swap amps from my dwarf without needing to use the tablet or computer.

1 Like

It is a known limitation we want to overcome for sure, it is a bit technical trying to explain the reasons why it is not there yet, but it is near the top of things for us to do.

5 Likes

It is meanwhile more than 100 neural modellings! This is already a great success. Congrats!

I am personally not interested if a sound is nearby the original, to be honest. It must sound cool, thatā€™s all for my personal point of view. And I use lots of them but one is my favourite: small box dyna std.json, made by @Teuvosick. I use this more often as compared to the other. It is a distorted sound, but still transparent and open. I really like it.

I would be interested in the favourite modellings of others. Which one do you like the most?

8 Likes

Iā€™m glad itā€™s being worked on. Iā€™m getting to show case these new tones at some big gigs soon and Iā€™m so excited. I love walking in with my strat and my little Mod Dwarf and watching sound guys and other musicians look down at me through their nose. Then sound check starts and they run over trying to figure out where Iā€™m hiding my expensive 28 unit pedal board and amp.

10 Likes

I have something funny about this.

Historically, I never cared about Orange Amps. For me it was just a hyped brand, not sure why.

But the other week some of our guys went to a studio here in Berlin and captured a couple of real amps, including an Orange Rockerverb.

Iā€™ve gotta tell that my favorite model so far is the ā€œnastyā€ setting of this amp. What a great sound :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I think that you like this capture because I made it using the envelope filter of AxeFxIII on gain control so the result is more dynamic of other ā€œnormalā€ captures.
Unfortunately we canā€™t apply this on phisical heads.

If you tell me the settings used for that capture I can try to reproduce it with envelope filter to have a result more dynamic and maybe compare phisical amp and his simulation.

ā€¦ or if you want other model captures with tis setting let me know

6 Likes

My wishlist for amp captures. If I had the gear Iā€™d do it myself.

Supro Thunderbolt +

A Marshall Blues Breaker

Benson Monarch

4 Likes

@Teuvosick I think you nailed it: It is more dynamic.Thatā€™s the point!

2 Likes

Hi =)
Can this be used like an auto-sampler/ multi-sampler for the platform? For example making the input an oscillator (sine, saw, square) or maybe the sound of the ā€œfluid guitarsā€ plugin and the ouptput the sound of any instrument?

So I can play with my guitar or with midi (controlling fluid guitar plugin)