MOD - Multi Button to CV

This plugin is amazing ! Thanks a lot @falkTX !

• the 3 colors for the LED is a good idea, could it be on a bit longer ? Or even keep the last press color ?
  • I’ve forgot that I can’t make a switchbox switch with CV :cry: Any reason why ?
  • on the screen of the dwarf, could the dots be replaces by the 1st letter of each text box ? And maybe getting color-reversed when on ?
2 Likes

Hi @falkTX. Thanks for making this plugin.

I noticed that the popup only appears if I assign the button to a Footswitch. if I use a MIDI, a CV or the MOD UI to controls the plugin, it doesn’t shows the popup on screen.

It is a lv2-hmi.h/HMI restriction or a plugin limitation?

In my case: I’m using the Chocolate MIDI to controls some plugins on/off state. But, unfortunately, it doesn’t have a way to give me a feedback (it doesn’t have Footswitches LEDs like Dwarf has and its 7 segments display isn’t configurable).

My idea was using this new plugin to give me a feedback.

1 Like

I think this is quite an interesting use case! We could have an extra control “long-press mode” which toggles between latching <-> momentary :slight_smile:

that’s correct, its currently not possible to assign CV signals to lists and triggers. For the Looperlative in specific, It already uses double and long presses internally, so I’m not too sure how these 2 plugins would mix.

a small oversight, I guess it makes the most sense for the led to stay on as long as the popup, I’ll tweak this soon :sweat_smile:

This is currently indeed restricted. Before the 1.12RC’s plugins could only change actuator fields displayed by the HMI (name, value, LED etc.) so hmi-widgets could only be used on an HMI assignment. We have some more improvements in mind for the hmi-widgets, so Ill add this to that list!

Perhaps it would even be better to have a “notification” plugin, which handles this specific use case.

4 Likes

:dizzy_face:

Thanks!

An notification plugin can solve my problem, but only if I won’t use the Multi Button to CV capabilities with my midi controller. :thinking:

1 Like

Loving this plugin! Makes my crazy cc toggle to note toggle mess of plugins for momentary CC pedals unnecessary! Plus now those momentary cc stomp pedal switches can do triple duty with single/long and double presses!

My only request is that it appears that the output high/low state isn’t saved with the pedalboard/snapshot. Therefore, when I save a pedalboard or snapshot with the reverb plugin turned on, when I recall that pedalboard or snapshot, the reverb will always be in the off position, making snapshots useless!

1 Like

ah thanks for catching this bug!

we’ve been preparing a small update for this plugin so I’ll make sure this will be fixed there too :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Awesome! Thank you so much!

Yes, some sort of notification being triggered as a popup for when a value is changed via MIDI or CV would be so helpful, but that’s getting a little OT so I won’t go on and on about it here!

5 Likes

Did some testing with this setup at band practice last night and noticed there’s a slight lag when using single press to turn fx on/off. This is obviously because the plugin is “listening” to make sure the press wasn’t a long press or the first half of a double press.

It’s not terrible but I had hopes that this would finally be THE solution for toggling a momentary MIDI CC button and with the lag it doesn’t seem like it is.

2 Likes

Yes, the CV signal is send when you release the switch. It could have been right on press but it would put on the effect assigned for short press the put it off when long press is detected… a bit strange I think.

2 Likes

perhaps another “trigger” mode can be added? so it does not wait for the press release.

it should be separate, as there can be a use case for having distinct signals for single/long/double press events. if single press event triggers every time, it is not very nice.
but if there is a separate, dedicated signal for “trigger a cv pulse as fast as possible” mode, I think that covers all cases then.

8 Likes

why not haveing a selectable timing option for every state?

6 Likes

This is already the case, there are controls for both the long press and double press times :slight_smile:

2 Likes

we just pushed an update for this plugin which includes some of the feedback given here, to summarize:

• add momentary long-press modes
  • Increase LED time (now in sync with popup time)
  • allow for a wider range on the long/double press times (now as low as 1ms)
  • fix plugin state not being saved with the pedalboard

thanks for all the feedback!

10 Likes

Updated to the latest and plugin state still seems to be not saving with snapshots, but it IS saving with pedalboards. Can we get snapshots, too?

Also, any chance of getting an immediate mode on single press like @falkTX was suggesting?

Thank you so much for listening to our requests and working so hard to improve this platform. I know we keep asking for more and more, but I do want to make sure you know how grateful I am for your hard work and this badass platform you’re developing!

9 Likes

Thanks for your kind words!

oh I think you actually found a bug in the platform, not the plugin :sweat_smile: good thing we still need to do an 1.12-RC3 in that case.

Wouldn’t turning the long-press/double-press times all the way down already solve this issue ?

4 Likes

Ah glad I was able to help expose that bug!

Haha IT WORKS! When I was testing, I only turned long press all the way down and totally forgot to also turn down double press! So when doing that, single press is never activated and long press becomes a quicker single press. Works great. Maybe “Long Press” should be renamed “Timed Press” or something now to reflect this change and make its behavior clearer to users since bringing its value below a certain threshold basically disables single press and makes it an even faster single press?

6 Likes

Cool, thanks.

2 Likes

The plugin just got updated, and the state should be saved with snapshots now :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Tested and working! Thank you so much, Jan!

8 Likes

:open_mouth:

What is this sorcery??? VERY happy to have this available.

It seems like you guys are very stretched for time and have to carefully prioritise what you do. (Who’d have thought it, eh!? :stuck_out_tongue: )

While I know it’s neither pleasant nor healthy to be so stressed all the time, it is an absolute pleasure to see you slaying it by constantly going for value-for-money (in practical terms; providing the most impactful tools for creative types, given the energy you can truly dedicate to a given project) and listening to the people who are engaged. Smart. This plugin is an example of that.

I know you can’t pay bank-loans with kudos, but I hope a bit of appreciation will help ease the burden.

13 Likes