Mod Dwarf wrong processing of Note Off Velocity

Hey there!

I have a mod dwarf processing a bunch of midi devices connected to a USB hub in seperated mode.

I noticed that it does not interpret a note off velocity of 0 correctly.

I’m sending midi On and Off from Axoloti to dwarf, and the dwarf should forward this to a midi controller. (for visual feedback)

I made a simple test setup. Midi is routed back into axoloti internally, to confirm that note off velocity should be 0.

When I route the same midi date through dwarf, it turns a note off velocity of 0 into 64.

Note On and all other note off velocites are handled corectly.

I created to more testing situations:

Sequencer playing same note, patching a trs cable form in to out of mod. Now note Off have a correct velocity of 0.

So is the mistake with axoloti? When I route the midi from axoloti to my computer, however it is being displayed correctly.

Any ideas whats going on here?
IS there any way to display midi data in hex format?

1 Like

axoloti could making use of “running status” and turning the note off into a note on with zero velocity.
note ons with velocity zero are not allowed in LV2, per spec.

any way to confirm axoloti is not using “running status”?

2 Likes

Hey thanks for the quick answer! axoloti might be using running status, yes, not sure how I could confirm this though. I should propably monitor it’s midi stream in hex format?

I managed to use some midi utilites to get the note off velocity back to 0. My main goal with this is to turn lights on and off on my akai apc mini. Turning lights on works, turning a light off with note off 0 velocity doenst work however.

I start to suspect that the controller wants a Note on message with 0 velocity for turning its light off.
So as you say, mod dwarf cannot generarte/ forward such message?

1 Like

I found this documentation. So it seems the controller wants note on messages with 0 velocity for turning the light of a pad off.

So did I understand correctly that Mod can’t generate, nor pass through these kind of messages?

1 Like

it technically could, but dont think it does at the present moment.

this is a very esoteric usage of MIDI, typically a note-on with velocity zero is used to signal a note-off.

1 Like

ok thanks!

It’s a very stupid implementation imho. If you wanna do something like take the incoming notes from the controller and send the same notes back (in ableton,or on mod or whatever) so you have visual feedback of the notes you’re playing, you will turn the lights on but not off once you release the keys. cause the damn thing won’t listen to note off messages.

But that means my current setup plan won’t work :sob: :sob:

I mean basically it would be enough to just forward the midi message from one input to one output completelly unaltered. Can put that as a feature request somewhere?

1 Like

Maybe a MIDI splitter will fix your issue? Then you can send the same unaltered messages to your controller.

2 Likes

It would have be a usb midi host. More specifically one that hosts other devices and can be hosted itself. That means more cables and more space (and more money being spent)
Also I don’t want to go to many extra routes, the controller will be controlling a blackbox (routed through mod) and an axoloti patch. Axoloti will handle visual feedback to the controller.

I could hookup the controller directly to the axoloti, but axoloti is also running a 4chan microtonal pitchbend patch for my synthesizer and that kinda only worked with the synth attached to the axoloti directly.

One of the main functions (next to FX for my Synth) of the Mod in my setup is to act as a midi router. I was quite glad about the Idea that I could just bring all my midi signals together there via a USB Hub and then redistribute and not having to get an extra device (the whole setup is already quite sophisticated)

1 Like

We all can “thank” Apple Computer for that. They stripped Logic Pro of several midi capabilities and “convinced” everybody else that they were not needed. They said at the time that a note had a pitch and duration, so that a “stop that note” message was a waste of resources.

A NoteOn=0 is not the same as a NoteOff. It’s a note that stays there and never closes, so at times there are multiple note conflicts as a result (too many instances of the same note, same channel ringing out.) That affects legacy hardware and software more than newer ones.

(One day I got an email from a major guitar hardware producer begging for help. Leading to 2012 NAMM, they were trying to demo their gear with Logic Pro and notes were hanging all over the place. Turns out Logic simply ignores CC120-127 messages.)

That became a (bad) habit past 2005. Before most synths accepted and interpreted Note Off messages. It is part of the midi specification and there are several instruments to this day – like the uber-expensive Wersi organs – that use note off velocity as a duration of the sustain.

2 Likes