MOD DUO not detected as midi device

Hello!

I used to have my Mod Duo configured as a midi device on my Mac, using Ableton Live as the main clock for the sequencer plugins (Sync mode to MIDI, not Ableton Link). I followed these instructions at the time: Tutorial: Using Time Based Parameters - MOD Wiki

I haven’t been using my Duo for a while but I just noticed today that it is not working anymore; the sequencer is not running in Sync mode, only in “Free running”.

Since the last time it worked, I updated Live to it’s newest version (11) and I also proceeded with the latest Duo upgrades.

It is listed in my Mac Midi studio but is not connected and I am not able to activate it.

Unfortunately, I am not an expert in midi connections but I was able to set it up easily before.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

1 Like

Hello @M_Ga,

If it’s listed in the MIDI studio all should be fine up to there. Have you checked in Ableton if you have the MIDI port for the MOD Duo accepting MIDI?

1 Like

Hi,

The DUO is not listed anymore in Ableton (it used to…).

I “refreshed” the device listing in MIDI studio and DUO does not appear anymore. I tried reconnecting the MIDI cable, rebooting, etc. and it never detects the DUO. (It is detected as a network device though)

1 Like

What is the OS version that you are running on the MOD Duo?

1 Like

Unless you manually activated the experimental multi-gadget thing, the Duo will never present itself as a MIDI device over USB.
The Duo X got that option on 1.12, and Dwarf had it on 1.11, the Duo does not officially support it.

For sending MIDI from a PC to the Duo, without the experimental features, you need a USB to DIN MIDI converter cable.

1 Like

Thanks for clearing it up @falkTX. I was wondering about that, but this week I don’t have a Duo around to check it.

1 Like

Version 12.6 Monterey

1 Like

Hi,

“Unless you manually activated the experimental multi-gadget thing”: just to make sure, where do I find this in the settings?

I already tried the JACK Net Manager: no changes.

I tried connecting a DIN cable from my Keystep controller into the MOD in order to use the KS clock. There were no other MIDI connection, MOD was not connected to Mac. Still no changes.

1 Like

there are no settings for it, it is 100% experimental feature so we leave it only for those that know how to recover back to actually enable it too.
since you dont know about it, we can assume you never enabled such option before.

So the Duo should never have been listed as MIDI device. how did you set up that before?

2 Likes

I need to apologize here. It seems I did activate a long time ago the experimental feature and forgot about it. I followed the instructions here:
Duo X as USB Audio input and MIDI device | EXPERIMENTAL. It is after doing this that I was able to use Ableton with the DUO as a MIDI device.

2 Likes

Do you have something to suggest?

1 Like

Follow the same instructions again? though the page is kept in Audio Through USB - MOD Wiki
Best to only enable the USB gadget mode and skip the audio part as that increases CPU usage and it is not very stable on the Duo.

3 Likes

It actually works! I removed the old file, rebooted, added it again, rebooted, and the device is now listed.

Thanks a lot.

Michel

5 Likes