MOD - Convolution Loader

Hi everyone.
We are doing a push for a new IR-based convolution reverb loader, and we like to get some feedback on the plugin.

Similar to the x42 IR Convolver, you upload IR Reverb files via file manager and then pick one from the list of files.

Plugin supports both wav and flac files.
Background processing is used to help deal with bigger IR files.

There is a high-pass filter in the advanced settings that can be used for filtering the signal that gets pushed to the reverb convolution process.
When bypassed the plugin will switch to dry signal, with optionally keeping the reverb “trails”.

Feedback and testing is very much welcome!

20 Likes

Great to see new plugins coming.

2 Likes

This is a cool plugIn, I guess! I am looking forward in testing it!

2 Likes

plugin works great and sounds great. I use it for cab ir though. Would be nice to also have a high cut option.

6 Likes

A heads up: we have removed the previous build from the store and added a new one, for a plugin rename (from “MOD Convolution Reverb” to “MOD Convolution Loader”).
This is to be in line with future plans of a variant of this plugin with pre-baked files. This plugin is the “loader”, while the upcoming one is the “reverb”.

If you already installed it, please remove and install the one with the new name.
Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience!

10 Likes

Also, 2 small changes made to the plugin (besides the rename)

1. The high pass filter knob is now visible on the modgui directly
  2. This filter maximum value was raised to 500Hz
8 Likes

Plugin has been moved to stable!

6 Likes

I’m new to all this, an hour ago the dwarf arrived. Bought a used one from the crowdfounding via ebay.

My main point with this unit will be using convolution IRs for Violin & Cello Corpus which works fantastic under IOS or Laptop. Now I managed to test a lot of Pedalchains, but couldn’t load this specific plugin… Where will I find it?

1 Like

Jippie! I found it in the store!

7 Likes

What is the differrence between this and the x42 convolution loader? x42 is much lighter on recources… I havent compared them listening… maybe I should do that :slight_smile:

… later
To be honest, I can’t hear a difference with the short Impulses I use… Both sound very good.

6 Likes

x42 uses more threads and a somewhat complex partitioning system for the IR processing. in some ways it is better, specially if you have quite big IR files.
but its CPU load is quite misleading, all the processing is done in background threads with the realtime one simply fetching data from the available partitions.

the MOD convolution loader also has background processing, but maximum 2 threads (1 per IR audio channel). it will process the first part of the IR in realtime and let the rest be done in those background threads.
so the MOD one will appear as if it is consuming more CPU, but that is mostly because it is running part of the IR processing in realtime (which directly increases the presented CPU/DSP load).

my personal recommendation is to use x42 one if you have a single line of plugins, so the extra cpu cores can more easily deal with heavy IR files. but if you have multiple plugins in parallel connections consider the MOD version.
also, I recommend to not use more than 1 heavy IR loader at once in a pedalboard.

9 Likes

@falkTX Thank you so much, for this detailed answer. As my understanding is not that deep, it just shows me to use which one works better in specific projects :-). With the x42 the xruns were significantly reduced in my case. I’m used to use about 6 Convolution loader at a time in IOS. I use convolution on any piezo pickup, because I made handmade and wellchosen irs specifically made for each instrument. In the Dwarf project I am able to use 1 because more convolution loader lead to problems. I bet it will be ok to work with presets, while I could maybe use another (extremely small) one for microphone transformation. I make a DPA out of a cheap Ovid with adapting frequency curve :slight_smile: for cello/violin sometimes. … EDIT: For that I can use the Guitar cab loaders as this has to be only monophonic. cool.

3 Likes

I’m about to order a Mod Dwarf. How many instances of the Convolution Loader would I reasonably be able to use. Ideally I’d like to use three in parallell; one with a 10 secs IR and two more with around 4.5 second impulse responses. I’d also be running the autoswell plugin along with a Low Pass Filter placed after the 10 second IR with some kind of mix to stereo at the end of the chain. Will the CPU cope with this? Would there be enough CPU grunt to run a looper as well? A 256 buffer would be okay as I would be using the output as an ambient backdrop…

3 Likes

I’ve never used 3 in parallel, but I frequently use 2 in series. One for reverb and one for a cab sim. In one Bass pedalboard, I use 2 cab sims in parallel into a 4-to-1 mixer. In both of these cases, I have an amp sim and a few other plugins and hit somewhere between 45-65% on the CPU meter. Caveat, the CPU meter doesn’t include background processing, which the IR loaders use, so you might get xruns, even when your CPU shows relatively normal usage. But in my pedalboards, I have not experienced issues.

6 Likes

I did a quick try to see, and this is what I end up with:

1x 10s IR file
2x 5s IR file
2x autoswell
2x lowpass
1x advanced looper
1x stereo mixer

Seems to run quite well here on a 256 buffer size, but it does give a very occasional xrun though (I got 1 xrun in about 3 minutes)

If I were to run this setup live, with no further processing happening on the individual shorter IRs, I would probably choose to manually sum the two 5s IRs into a single file, to save on some CPU power.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Many thanks for taking the time to try out that plugin config; it helps a lot. :wink:

I would probably run the 10s IR in mono, so only one autoswell and LPF needed…

4 Likes

My pleasure :slight_smile:

You would likely be better off running the 10s IR in the x42 IR Convolver (mono variant) in that case, so you dont waste the processing for the second IR channel.

Let me do another quick check for ya

Slightly lower CPU load, and now I am getting approximately 1 xrun per 5-10 minutes

I still think summing the two shorter IRs could make sense, I simulated this by deleting one of the two bottom IR loaders, and I did not get any xruns in 15 minutes

6 Likes

Thanks again, that’s looking good. :wink:

Presumably the SooperLooper plugin is a lot less resource heavy? I only need a simple looper, as long as you can go straight from record to overdub?

3 Likes

The SooperLooper is indeed a bit less resource heavy, but it doesnt have a easy option for going straight from record to overdub. One way to still achieve record into overdub would be to address record as a momentary off type control, meaning record is always active unless you hold down the footswitch. You could then use the play/stop control to start the initial loop recording, and simply tap record to “finish the initial take”, after which it would start overdubbing indefinitely. However, the clear downside in this case is that it is not able to get out of the overdubbing state, unless you press the play/stop control again to stop the entire loop.

Hmm… perhaps a solution can be created using some of the control voltage utilities… Will have to think about that for a bit though.

5 Likes

Thanks, you’ve been very helpful, along with many others during my short time here.
Seems like a great place to hang out… :wink:

10 Likes