Midi via USB A not working

Midi has always been a nightmare for me.

I’ve generally relied on spiltters/merge box’s.

Eventually I broke down and snagged a retrokits 006.

Acts as a full USB midi hub, as well as 2 midi inputs w/merge and 10 midi/gate outs.

It was worth every penny.

Using the web app, there is a considerable amount of routing and filtering that it can do.

2 Likes

Cheers - looks very tempting.

The worst part is I’m pretty good with MIDI so just can’t see why the Dwarf won’t accept PC changes either for patches or snapshots. Either thru USB or MIDI Din

3 Likes

Hello @Austin73 ,

thank you for your time testing so far.
Very dumb question for an experienced MID enthusiast that you are:
Is there a MIDI channel offset (15->16) or simple cabling questions (MIDI TRS A/B) you could eliminate?

Just want this connection problem to be solved, too for the benefit of all.

By the way, have a nice weekend!

Greetings and God bless, Marius

3 Likes

FYI I just checked with my setup and have the Dwarf responding to PC for both snapshots and pedalboards. I’m on Mod firmware 1.12.0.2912-RC2. Using midi channels 15 and 16 and sending messages from my Dirtywave M8 over USB.

By any chance do you have the Mod GUI open in a browser? Just like you’re not able to enter the pedalboard selection screen on the Dwarf when the GUI is open, the Dwarf won’t respond to program changes either.

4 Likes

Cheers for jumping in guys
Using channels 1 and 2 on Dwarf. GUi off.

Firmware is 1.11 not 1.12R2

Will have a check after dinner - you never know might be something stupid my end

4 Likes

Everything wired correctly, no GUI on. Zoom, M5 and Helix all swapping nicely. Dwarf still nothing. Even swapped snapshot to channel 1 instead of program but still nothing…

The little black box is a homemade trs a and b to MIDI Din. So have checked both ways. The Dwarf is receiving midi via USB only although did try via TRS and still got nothing.

DO I need to select anything on the menu other than channel settings for program and snapshot?

It receives cc to alter pedals fine.

However on a lighter note Dwarf powers the Pacer and the Mvave nicely on only 1amp

2 Likes

OK just turned it all back on. Connected to Ableton Live to send PC via dummy clips and now it’s fully working! No idea why as it’s all connected the same

Is there a way to globally select midi ports to connect the zoom and m5 all the time or do I have to select for each patch ?

3 Likes

Do you mean to set for all pedalboards to have separated or aggregated MIDI inputs?

Separated, that way the zoom and m5 can be connected separately to receive different messages.

Also I there a way to ping pc and cc on loading the pedalboard instead of actually switching via mindi?

I know I can just send messages through but thought would be handier to program that way so I can use the same effects on different pedalboards

But do you mean to save it as a general selection instead of based on the pedalboard that you are loading?

Can you give me an example? I didn’t get it exactly (sorry if I seem a bit slower today…I may be :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

you and me both today Jon.

Imagine I load a pedalboard with say amp and delay at same time PC 23 to Line 6 M5 on the hardware out to pick distortion and PC 7 to USB and Zoom CDR70 to pick Reverb

I then load a second pedalboard which gives me guitar synth and PC 11 to M5 on hardware out and PC 13 to Zoom
etc etc

So every time I load a new pedalboard I don’t have to have both M5 and CDR receiving same message as M5 only goes to 24 and Zoom to 50 so programming both at the same time isn’t ideal.

Hope that makes sense

1 Like

Kind of…
With the mindi you can send a program change message when the pedalboard is loaded. If you connect the mindi to the correspondent MIDI out where you have connected each pedal (and make it trigger the message when the pedalboard is loaded) what you are trying to do should work.
Or are you using only one MIDI out?

1 Like

It should be possible to use one of the Seville Soft USB to USB adapters, which are designed to solve exactly this problem — connecting two devices that both provide MIDI USB hosting.

3 Likes