MIDI Foot Controller Recommendation

Probably you might customize it for your needs but I’m pretty sure that it doesn’t support advanced functionalities like press and hold, double press and hold and so on. It supports only 0 and 127 as CC value. If you need a CC value of 64 for some reason, you won’t be able to send it from Meloaudio to your MOD.

Yes, the Morningstar does seem to have the ability for multiple types of foot dancing. Personally, I’m not even sure how valuable that is (how does it differentiate between a PRESS and a RELEASE, since the RELEASE involves a PRESS… etc, etc). Having 8 simple switches (or 10 if MA gets their act together) is perfectly fine. I seem to be able to make it work in JamUP (mostly) the way I would like. I was just wondering if anyone has used one with the Duo, and have any comments. There are videos on YouTube where a couple of reviewers talk about using the 2 together, but nothing in-depth. I would really like to know if it’s worth keeping for use on the Dwarf?

The different events of PRESS and RELEASE could be used to emulate a latched pedal, i.e. while you keep the switch pressed you enable an effect, and when you release it the effect is disabled.

1 Like

Oh wow, I didn’t even think about something like that :woozy_face:. It makes more sense now. But clearly it’s not something that I would require at this point (or probably ever, since I’ve started learning guitar too late in life).

I’ve tried the iCON G-Board, but it didn’t work. :confused:

In factory default configuration all switches send Note on with a following Note off message (e.g. G#) which doesn’t make sense to me for controlling anything. So I changed working mode to Control Change and mapped 20 to 27 to each of the switches. I checked both setups by monitoring MIDI messages with receivemidi [1] tool. But when I reconnect it to my MDX and try to map a switch via MIDI learn, it still doesn’t work.

I’m not yet familiar with MIDI message types, so I might be misunderstanding how to do a proper setup, but there are limitations with that device I consider it to be useless for learning how MIDI works and getting a flexible controller for a reasonable price. One of those is that changing the working mode relates to all switches.

To me this means that I cannot setup a Control Change for switching a distortion plugin on/off while having another switch to control tap tempo of a delay plugin via note on command.

All of this leads to the situation of looking for another MIDI controller. The list of supported devices is sparse and I already tested the Behringer FCB1010 [2] as well, which seems to be feature-rich but is definitely to heavy and chunky.

Before ending up with Keith McMillen’s flagship Softstep 2 [3], I’d like to find a cheaper solution that is similar in the way of flexibility to control the MDX as a guitarist and singer.

One candidate seems to be the Tech 21 MIDI Mongoose, which I’ve mentioned before or the Source Audio Soleman MIDI Foot Controller. The latter is bus powered which I’d prefer over the Mongoose, which probably needs a 7-port MIDI connection to work at all or without an ac adaptor. And the Soleman device seems to be programmable without a software editor. This criterion is even harder to satisfy. Background is that I’m completely on Linux and Wine doesn’t implement support for direct USB device access like those switch editing/mapping software need.

Does anybody has similar experiences and found a way?

To sum up, I’m looking for a MIDI footswitch controller featuring:

• lightweight, but robust construction (up to 1 kg) and reasonably small dimesions
  • class-compliant USB-MIDI device and bus powered
  • programmable switches to set a plugin on/off via CC, but controlling tap tempo via note on/off as well
  • editing/mapping of switches on device itself or linux compatible software needed

[1] https://github.com/gbevin/ReceiveMIDI
[2] https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Behringer/Accessories/Midi-Foot-Controllers/FCB1010/p/P0089
[3] https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/softstep/
[4] https://www.sourceaudio.net/soleman-midi-foot-controller.html

2 Likes

An alternative could be to use the iCON G-Board chassis only and fill it with DIY arduino board.

1 Like

This might be a good idea for another student project. At the moment I’m too busy for hacking things like this myself, but thanks for such a hint.

Disaster Area Designs make a bunch of really useful MIDI foot pedals:
https://www.disasterareaamps.com/product-category/midi-controller

I have a hot pink MIDI Baby and love it. Affordable, highly customizable (via USB and a web app) and built super sturdy. I currently use it as the clock master for my entire setup plus an expression to MIDI control change (have my Hotone Soulpress attached to it). The foot switch is setup as tap tempo but also will toggle between sending start/stop commands when I press and hold the pedal. And this is just one possibility. You can set the stomp to cycle thru any other specific MIDI commands (ex. send program change 1, then 12, then 27, etc), send multiple commands simultaneously, or just a simple toggle on/off of any MIDI parameter. It’s also class-compliant so you can hook it up to the Mod directly via USB if you want to leave the 5-pin ports open for something else. Really can’t recommend it enough.

2 Likes

Would this one work?

It’s odd that the G-board doesn’t work for you, cause what you describe here is exactly how I use mine. Of the eight switches on the G-board, seven of them are used to switch pedals on/off, and one of them I use as a tap tempo for the delay plugin.

At first use I had the G-board and the Akai plugged in at the same time, had an piano simulator for the Akai and when engaging a footswitch on the G-board it played a note. Not knowing how anything worked (still don’t do, really :sweat_smile:) I used the iMap-software that came with the G-board to change things around and I got it to work. I had to map the G-board differently as to not interfere with the keys/knobs/switches on the Akai, but I manage to sort it out.

The only downside of the G-board is (as mentioned earlier) that the LEDs don’t turn on/off when engaging a footswitch. Still havent got this to work.

Hope you find a MIDI foot controller that suits your needs!

1 Like

So just to recap, has anyone tried the Midi Mongoose from Tech 21? Definitely looks like an interesting option for me who wants to set and forget to some degree.

Im using a Nektar Pacer, quite compact for what it is. Takes expression pedals and extra footswitches. Using it with Ableton and a Helix - no dwarf as yet. Can program 6 step sequencers MMC etc. Previously had FCB1010, Rig Kontrol 3 and Mitigator but the pacer is the best at present. Usually quite cheap on Amazon.

Nektar is bus powered too, forgot to mention

3 Likes

My first post here. I’m eagerly awaiting the delivery of my Dwarf. I’m looking to get a foot controller that will handle the Dwarf and my Mesa TC50 head. I’m leaning towards the Behringer FCB1010 but my mind is not set yet. Are the expression pedals on the Behringer sturdy enough for wha and volume control? I don’t think I have a heavy foot but I’m used to working a Morley wah pedal fairly vigorously. Thank you for all the recommendations.

1 Like

Greetings ElCid (El Campeador?) I’ve not used the Behringer and can’t attest to the build quality, but in investigating it in the past I’ve thought it would be good to experiment with. I’m a total midi newbie but I know the fcb1010 is mentioned a lot in this forum and a lot of people apparently use it on a regular basis.

If you’ve got a mesa tc50 I’m guessing you’re playing out a lot or hope to be again soon. I researched a little on the web and it looks like a lot of folks love the behringer and think it’s built like a tank. It seems to be mentioned a lot in comparison with the Roland FC-300(?).

Being new to midi and never having used it on a gig I actually can’t tell you much. Obviously I’m giving you my opinion of opinions of others I’ve read on the net. Not much help.

I guess this is the tldr version of "Welcome to the Forum, El Cid!

2 Likes

Expression pedals on FCB1010 are plastic and a bit flappy but work perfectly - almost like roland Ev5. its built quite well and is heavy. It can be prone to a tranformer hum but that doesnt enter the audio chain. I actually prefer the feel of my Nektar expression pedals which are really cheap to buy but feel great to me. The cable is cheap but doesnt effect how it works. And they plug into most controllers and synths etc but not the Dwarf without a foot controller such as Blackstar, Nektar Pacer etc

If the transformer itself is humming - sound coming from physical vibrations - give this puppy a shot:

Check out the rest of the stuff on his website.

You might also want to consider the Nektar Pacer PACER Foot Controller ▷ Hands-Free DAW and MIDI Control | - Nektar Technology, Inc, which you would have to supplement with expression pedals like Austin73 mentioned (or if you would prefer something built like a tank, you could go with BOSS’s offerings - https://www.boss.info/us/products/fv-500h_500l/). The build quality for the Pacer is solid, and there is a 3rd party web interface that is quite usable. It sends midi but doesn’t receive info about what has been changed back from the device (Am I turning it on or off? Is it already on? - these can be overcome by consistent choices when setting up your pedalboards). It is also designed to help with hands-free recording with Logic, Ableton, etc., but I haven’t used it in that way.

I have a Behringer FCB1010, but nothing beats Mod Footswitch.
The FCB1010 is in its box.

1 Like

I have set the FCB1010 like this with the Un0 Eprom https://www.fcb1010.eu/:

To reduce the hum of the FCB1010 I did this: https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21586&p=120094&hilit=fcb1010#p120094

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @ElCid.

Any midi foot controller that can send CC and PC messages should work with the MOD. There are some very robust ones, like the Roland FC-200 and FC-300 units, or else units plenty of stompbox-like switches like the Voodoo Lab Ground Control or the Rocktron Midi Raider Pro – as well as the Melo Audio mentioned above. Other, now discontinued but much loved units include Yamaha MFC-10 units, probably one of the sturdiest ever built.

Then you have newer, highly programmable units like Keith McMillen SoftStep (the one @this.ven mentions above), which I have tried and is indeed fabulous – but if you have a 48(EU)/13(US) sized-foot like me, you’ll have trouble with it. :confused:

So, options are plentiful, you need to search something that fits your playing stile. For instance, the switches on Roland and Behringer units tend to be easier to use by someone seated, as opposed to standing.

The FCB1010 is one of the very few Behringer items that is very well regarded across the board. I’ve had one since 2009, and one of my fellow midi guitar players toured with one for 10 years. It is a workhorse, in spite of looking fragile and flimsy. The thing with the expression pedals is that they are optical (at least it was in some versions), and you may need to recalibrate them as at times you can’t reach 0 or 127 in full.

Plus, as @khz mentions above, with alternate firmwares it grows in functionality quite nicely. Both the Uno and the EurekaProm are very well documented. (I use the Uno.)

I would however advise against the Source Audio Soleman, as it is expensive and more tailored for the use with TRS-midi pedals. It should work with the MOD, but for that money you can get a much better and flexible unit.

Good luck.

2 Likes