Midi/audio file plugin: chosing midi/audio file via mod dwarf endless knobs

Hi,

Lately I was playing around with the midi file and audio file plugins on my mod dwarf. Is it possible to assign the selection of the midi/audio file that should be used to one of the endless knobs?

Currently I need to have multiple instances of the plugins or use the web gui to select another midi/audio file as far as I can see.

vanilla

3 Likes

not possible to do at the moment, but it is in our to-do list.

an alternative people have used in the mean time are plugin presets.

4 Likes

thank you for the quick reply @falkTX!

I use the plug-in presets per @falkTX above. I posted the process over in this thread, but will quote below:

I finally experimented with this and got a working solution. Don’t scroll through files, scroll through presets.

When you upload a file to the Dwarf to be used in the player, just take the extra step of creating a preset that just uses a single file. Then assign all to either an endless knob or to a foot switch. Be aware that the foot switch will cycle through the presets alpha-numerically.

Use case 1: you have different files to play in different songs live, maybe you want it to loop continuously. You have time to kneel down and twiddle a knob, so choose your file with the knob and then hit another switch (device or midi) when it’s time to play the track. Maybe fade it in/out with a midi expression pedal.

Use case 2: you have a song with three separate audio tracks you need to use—say, “Cult Of Personality” by Living Colour. Assign your presets to a foot switch. With the player off, you use the foot switch to select the first track (Malcolm X), let’s call it CLT1. Disable Loop Mode and use another switch to activate the player. It will play the track once. DO NOT DEACTIVATE THE PLAYER. When the time comes to play the JFK quote which you have called CLT2 so that it shows up immediately after CLT1, just hit the assigned-all-presets switch. It will cycle to the next track and immediately play it BECAUSE THE PLAYER IS STILL ON. At the end of the song, hit the button once more to play CLT3, the preset to which you’ve assigned the Roosevelt quote. Song over, great success, and now you can turn the player off.

You may have guessed that I’ve used both of these use cases. They work great. The main caveat if you are using an expression pedal to control volume on some of the presets is that the presets remember the starting volume you save them with (which is not the pedalboard save but the preset save below the presets list). That’s important to note, since maybe you want to fade a rain effect in on one song but have your Cult Of Personality clips come in at volume.

Still actually trying to get the starting volume levels consistent, but it’s good enough for live use so far.

2 Likes

Thanks for updating the work around. I’ll give it a go later. It might work for other plugins too that I’ve been struggling with

I also believe that if you select a file to play, and save the pedalboard, then that file will be selected whenever opening that board. If you arrange your boards around songs, then you can have those load with the rest of the board.

1 Like