Is there a Note to MIDI plugin?

When it’s done it should work really nicely :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Any updates?

Not really. Currently, we are extremely focused on putting the MOD Dwarf out there and fixing general issues on the platmorm.

1 Like

Those who are impatient should take a look at the Fishman TriplePlay. It runs great.

3 Likes

Yes indeed @gianfranco (yeah…MOD father himself) uses it quite often. And it sounds really cool!

That’s also on my wish list. I think a frequency to midi plug-in would be a great thing especially for giatrists. When playing guitar, you could run a synth in the background that would then also match the root note to the chord / note played on the guitar. That would even multiply the incredible possibilities that you already have on the Mod platform.

4 Likes

If not note to MIDI, what about a CV Pitch to MIDI Note plugin? The reverse already exists in the MIDI to CV Poly, and now that the “missing link” AudioToCV Pitch exists, having a CV Pitch to MIDI Note would solve the issue and open up the existing FluidGM synths to string players without having to muck about with LFOs, VCOs, VCAs and VCFs.

EDIT: Looks like the Infamous Mindi might be able to help in this pursuit; somebody’s been experimenting with it.

1 Like

Okay, so I’ve basically reproduced the board that @jesse had built, except using the AudioToCV Pitch as the signal origin instead of MIDI to CV Mono. Apologies for the low-tech photo of the screen; I was messing with it this morning before heading out and didn’t have time to share the board properly.

I used the VCO to confirm that my bass was producing a usable signal through the AudioToCV Pitch plugin and it’s working (fun fact, you can be your own LFO with fretless bass). You can also see from the value on the Mindi plug-in that the CV Pitch and CV Gate seem to be addressed correctly.

What I’m not getting, though is signal from the MDA ePiano. I added a MIDI Display to confirm that the Mindi is producing an output, and then added a Tiny Gain to monitor output from the ePiano… and that’s where I get zilch. Zero. Zip.

Not sure what’s going on there. Played with other MIDI instruments and got the same results. Do I just not understand how the MIDI generators work?

2 Likes

The problem with the conversion into MIDI is that for CV you can use the real value of the frequency and that is fine, meaning: if your guitar is slightly out of tune or you bend it a bit, that will not be a problem. The translation would always be direct.
For MIDI that is not easy because there are no “grey areas”. Either it is black or white. So if you bend a bit the note the system will get confused and start sending the MIDI of the original note and the note after sort of randomly and this could become extremely inaccurate and unpleasant.
This is really the big problem with the conversion of things like frequencies (notes) or CV (voltage) to MIDI. You trying to convert a huge range of values into only 127 so the system will be forced to be way more pragmatic.

If I understand it well you are sending Control Messages from the mind to the MDA input. That input is meant to receive Note type messages.

2 Likes

Yep, that was it. I hadn’t actually downloaded @jesse’s board, so I didn’t see what his Mindi settings were; enlarging the screenshot of his board made it look like it was also set on Control Change.

Changing it to Note On works, and although I clearly need to use an EQ to clean up the input signal (as has been shown in the in-depth guitar synth video), this method does allow use of the MIDI synths with a standard guitar input.

3 Likes

I’m glad that it worked :slight_smile:
If you are up to the challenge, please share a simple homemade video of what you get with it :wink:

3 Likes

+1!

I’m curious to see and hear how far you can go with this!

4 Likes

Any further updates on this? I really would love to be able to use the MOD Dwarf as the middle man in controlling an external synth Like my Waldorf Streichfett using a guitar. Buying the Fishman Triple Play is just out of the question - too damn expensive. I do have a little electronics board project I built a while ago from a kit, that takes a guitar input and converts it to MIDI, but it’s only mono, won’t handle string bends or chords.

1 Like

I haven’t had time to sit down and make a better attempt to dial it in, but the steps are all there. I have realized that some of the challenges I was having were because the note to CV plug-in doesn’t pick up notes below the ninth fret of a bass very well. Might have to actually plug in my guitar to get better results.

2 Likes

Any updates on this?

2 Likes