Is there a list of what affects CPU usage of a pedalboard?

I make some large complex pedalboards for my Mod Duo X, and I often wonder what elements I can trim out to reduce CPU usage.

For example, when testing a pedalboard, I am using level meters and CV meters all over the place to keep track of signal gain and CV stuff. When I am using the device on it’s own, without the GUI, this stuff is all saved, but how much impact would those things actually have?

I sometimes have plug-ins in my pedalboard which are not connected, but there as I test 4 or 5 options. They are saved, but not connected - does that use any CPU at all?

When I split signals, or combine signals in complex ways, I think it affects the latency, and sometimes can cause issues. But in those cases the CPU meter does not really indicate issues - so perhaps it’s superstition :laughing:

Here is list that needs to be filled with more data’s and plugins :
https://wiki.mod.audio/wiki/Plugins_CPU_Usage

4 Likes

This is awesome.
Do you think plug-ins stored in the unit, but not in use will affect CPU?

No.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

I now feel like I worded that poorly.
Do you think plug-ins stored in a pedalboard, but not in use will affect CPU?
I’m assuming no! - but it’s a slightly different thing.

If they are on the pedalboard they are “in use”, but they are not part of the input-output chain … so this I can’t really answer properly :#

It’s safe to say that if a plugin is loaded on a pedalboard it will use “some” CPU at least.

2 Likes