Internal MIDI resolution in 14 bit?

Would it be possible in the mod to realize the internal MIDI resolution in 14 bit instead of the usual 7 bit? This would have an enormous added value IMHO.
I know this from the C15 which runs with a Linux (audio/MIDI).

1 Like

You mean using RPN and NRPN messages, correct?

I say yes, even though I know very little about the technology. It has the advantage that MIDI is much finer and therefore more musical. Here is an example article from CDM, although I suspect that the article is not very informative in terms of technical details.

Oh, it would be great to have nrpn support for e.g. the midi to CV and CV to midi converter plugins (which would required editable midi mappings, obviously). I’ve been thinking for a bit about doing sidechain compression between multiple pedals, and this would be perfect for that.

1 Like

It’s not, one would need to understand the inner workings of Midi CC messages, the most significant bits (MSB) and least significant bits (LSB), other than registered and non-registered parameters – RPN/NRPN.

In the case of Midi 1.0, data runs in 7-bit chunks. But a time came when, for instance, synths had more than 128 presets, so “banks” of 128 presets were created. Since program change messages only provide 128 choices, a second 7-bit chunk of data would then carry information that would tell the synth to change some other parameter. A combination of 2 CC messages would then tell the synth to go to bank X and select preset Y. In some synths – like the fabulous Yamaha DB50XG card – one could only select some patches through this method.

The concept that 14-bit midi is more accurate than 7-bit midi is a common misinterpretation.

On one hand, with two 7-bit messages one can, for instance, set a finer Pitch Bend range by using Controller 6 (MSB) to set the range in semitones and then Controller 38 (LSB) to set the range in cents – and one can consider that “extra” control over the synth a way of producing a more musical result.

Now, within Midi 1.0, there is the Mode 4, whereby pitch bend data can be sent per midi channel. Guitar to Midi converters have long used that. So, in a way, it might be a “finer” and “more musical” data because pitch bend is not a global force acting on all notes, and therefore very minor adjustments within a chord sound very natural.

But there is not an increase in accuracy per se and midi data is not finer. It is still midi 1.0 – and by the way, the entire MPE thing almost the same as Midi Mode 4. Only, instead of the fixed midi channels, every time more data is needed another channel is automatically used to pipe that data. Owners or Roli boards know that, since each key can send vibrato and PB data separately, but that is limited to 16 channels.

Midi 2.0 is different – and data “chunks” are 32-bit.

It would indeed.

3 Likes

I found something here
https://www.zem-college.de/midi/mc_form.htm
http://unseretollepage.de/hosted/midiguide/kap05.html

Blockquote unseretollepage.de The 14-bit resolution is the musically better one, because here again 16384 values are available and thus even the most extreme pitch bends can be generated cleanly.

(http://home.snafu.de/sicpaul/midi/midi0a.htm)
, these are all German pages regarding MIDI and 14 bit.

Here the developer talks about Linux MIDI (09.00 min/ 16.00 min) (Linux Audio came only recently which resulted in the doubling of the voices). But is probably more general.

3 Likes

It depends what you’re using the value for. There are a few places where you really do want either the increased resolution or a nonlinear mapping between the midi value and the control space — pitch bends and filter sweeps are two very good candidates. The faders on my SQ6 also send and receive 14bit NRPN, with a nonlinear curve.

Outside of a very few cases like that, though, it’s really not necessary. “More musical” depends on the context.

2 Likes

I haven’t played a C15 live yet, but when I hear the sounds that come out of it, I think I hear an enormously expressive instrument. The 14 bits are applied generally in the (MIDI) instrument, not only to certain parameters.

Is also just a request if it would be technically possible for the mod(, I like expressive music more than 0/1 :wink: ).

2 Likes

Good point, @Dymaxion.

Anything that requires pitch bending benefits from a more granular stepping.

and portamento, pressure, even aftertouch, depending on what it is modulating.

Agreed. It feels (and even resembles in a way) the Synclavier, but instead of building sounds through partials it has 2 LFOs and extensive ways of shaping and modulating them. And for the price it offers quite a lot.

Can we imagine (and hope and desire) one such plugin in the MOD?? :smiley:

1 Like

Just want to mention that MIDI learn in MOD supports pitchbend, so high-res MIDI is possible that way right now.
RPN/NRPN is not supported yet though.

4 Likes

Thank you for the information. If the other would be realized in the distant future it would be a huge extension of the mod.

1 Like

Interesting. Now I’ll have to see if there’s a reasonable chain to get pitchbend->CV and audio->CV->pitchbend :slight_smile:

2 Likes