Ideas for MOD content?

Cool, If this is a “jam”, you must have some cool “songs” in you as well :wink:

5 Likes

I appreciate the compliment lol, I can layer a 16 step sequence for sure. I was actually working on building a real “song” in the OT2 and while building patterns and doing some A/B comparisons, I found out I could make a short and snappy little showcase. Its rough, as I really wanted to get it shot and published so I could get feedback. Its hard to fuck up a house beat, but I do my best.

I actually had no plans to record this video, but I had just recorded and published a personal project a few hours earlier and the momentum kept me moving forward. I had a few false starts and was at the point where I was using a lot of low vowel count 4 letter words.

I have several improvements (dial back reverb, put bass on a 64 step sequence with added modulation, eliminate or change the snare, add more distortion before gaffa, reduce low end, filter kick, etc…) that I would make to that track if I re-record. My wife is a painter/charcoal artist, and if there is one thing we bith suck at, is saying “this is good enough as it is, quit tinkering with it”.

I think this video gets me pretty close to my original presentation plan. Not to mention that it has been incredibly rare for me to sit down and make 2 videos back to back in a single session, so thats a big improvement for me and my workflow lol

I’d consider this content the type I’d put at the end of a plugin demo. In this case, the video preceeding this jam would be about the Gaffa pedal, and this jam would be in the “application ideas” at the end, or linked to the hypothetical Gaffa video.

Either way, I was pretty happy with using the Gaffa to answer the melody line. The note where I added a slight hitch in the rhythm was a hyper fast 2 note arp which on delay felt sort of like strumming. I also really loves the switch from mono to full stereo, which is a lie. I just positioned my instruments to the left (low end) and right (shiny sounds) and let delay fill in the center. Its also why those freaken snares are so forward, and I hate them. I should’ve panned them left and right with an LFO, and filtered them down a bit.

As it currently stands, I need more lighting (I am going to use cheap mirrors that you can angle), and one more permanent video angle over the dwarf. That’s not critical, but I recorded an RMPro audio demo (30 seconds) ready to publish using the same delayverb track, but my camera setup didn’t have coverage on the dwarf. So I can just record a quick little vid with new audio.

I’m happy with the MDX screen overlay, I think that ended up coming out exactly like I envisioned originally. Hopefully this is way less chaotic.

One thing I will add to the videos as I progress, are overlays of the pedals from the GUI so that people can see what they look like, and how the gui changes as the hardware assignments are manipulated.

It should be a piece of cake, as my iPad does screen recording; and if AUM is recording in the background, the screen recording gets audio. That means it can be synced with a clap exactly the same as I’m doing now.

The other one I was stoked about, was the fact that the Microphone was exactly the solution I needed for syncing the audio up to both video streams. It was super painless getting everything aligned, and I don’t forsee any problems popping back up down the road.

For MOD stuff, I wont be doing any fun editing as the idea is to showcase the product itself. So for me, improving my production value in terms of clarity is my main goal.

I still have fun with my personal projects though :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks, João!

You’re a real G. Hope I make some cool stuff for you guys in the near future.

2 Likes

Alright fellas,

Round 2.

I really dug this, its just two notes on the sequence, a beat, and the MDX making my job easy. This is loud, and hard driving. Idk what to describe it other than techno.

Will for sure be upgrading overhead cam at some point.

I did pop the RMPro plugin over the dwarf to show the effect. Unfortunately that thing blasted my low end to the moon lmao

Hope you enjoy.

Let’s see if something comes out of me tomorrow.

Edit: realized my overhead cam recorded in 1080 instead of 4k. That would explain the drop in clarity… oops.

I’ve got a new game plan for this track, and I’m gonna re-record today with some new changes. I think its time for the kick to go away, and im gonna see how an arpeggiated bassline does instead. Should help me improve dynamics and drop the low end considerably.

I think that will really help this track, and most importantly, ill make a proper mix so RMPro looks like the good guy in the video instead of what happened here lmao

9 Likes

yep! beauty!

hey… how would you feel about me overdubbing some spacious woodwinds?

i’d try to make a MOD-centric video along with that. this sort of collaboration seems like a really compelling vehicle for demonstrating some MOD possibilities. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am 100% down for collaboration, you just let me know what you need.

Let me work on a different version today with some proper mixing, that way you can hear the details and dynamics. Track won’t be too much different, but it will be a bit more subdued; I want to work on the buildup and new percussion patterns with a bass line.

I’ll see if my SP2 is playing nice today for a bass arp, worst case, I’ll have to sink some time in fighting the onboard MOD synths.

Every time I open up the detailed controls on those synths, I turn my gear off and think about the choices that brought me to that synth interface.

2 Likes

woot!

once you’ve got a version you’re happier with, we’ll hook up via DM to arrange track transfers. perhaps you could just ensure your process gives us high-resolution, uncompressed audio (i.e. wav or aiff, rather than MP3 or ripping from video or somesuch) to work with. …but you’re probably there already!..

happy to work with just the final, mastered track. but, also, if you want to give me some separated stems, i’d have more flexibility for some remixing. totally up to you…

~excited~ :partying_face:

1 Like

Stems may be difficult, I dont know my octotrack well enough, but give me some time and I’ll see what I can do.

I will tell you that track I am working on is something different. This will be far more subdued so others can add.

Similar patterns, new sounds though. I’m constructing this in G# min currently.

The overall vibe is a bit grittier and darker. I dropped 1 octave so my dynamic range is relatively tight.

I have the bass line on G#2 and 0-coast on A#2.

The baseline is 24/32 iirc so the first 4 steps repeat before the rest of the line finishes. I also have it set to alternate pitch every so often, that way there is some movement with the line.

It matches well with my house beat. I dropped the snares for the moment, and slapped the claps on 2 and 4. I am still working sound selection, but I’m really not sure if I’m gonna need more than 4 percussion tracks for the techno feel. I’m actually kinda happy with this as it developing.

I found a couple of tricks with the pattern that affects the delay and the track can pick up some groove by adding offsteps on 9 and 14 for the O-coast.

I’m not bringing a lead in for this, I assume either you, or someone else can do that.

Let me get the rest of this dialed in so RMPro looks like a GOD tier plugin when I flip the switch, and I’ll work on a performance to send your way.

P.S.

Lighting problem is about to be solved for good by friday.

They are adhesive backed, so I can mount them above and around my table with power. They also can respond to audio through the app, or with theor microphones to make am RGB light show :smiley:

1 Like

excellent… totally happy to work on whatever direction you take! :innocent: absolutely don’t stress about stems if that’s not already part of your process…

and that looks like a very sweet lighting setup you’re gonna have there! way to go!

my video capabilities are currently waaaaaaaaaay less developed than yours, but we’ll see what i can come up with!

2 Likes

I’m also excited lol

Nervous as well!

Only one other person has approached me to collaborate, and he remixed one of my tracks.

I went to download it again as I planned on mastering and releasing it, but it wasnt available anymore :frowning:

2 Likes

After working on the revised track a bit, its gonna be a completely different thing lol

So, what I have done for you instead, is mastered the original track in my DAW (I know, cheating) and scooped out a lot of the low end. It brought the mids and highs into clearer focus.

As you can tell, this is revision 5, and I think it’s as good as I can get it without altering the sound too much.

2 Likes

love it.
gimme some time.

lots going on around here, but|and i’m pretty stoked.
:person_cartwheeling:

2 Likes

no worries at all!

I am going to work on some different pieces today.

My goal is to learn the OT2 this year, I get mad jealous of Jay Hosking and his OT2 work.

sadly, I have nothing beefy for bass like the minitaur, but that’s alright.

My big goals right now are centered around getting competent with the Octotrack’s arranger and pattern chaining. Once I have a bead on that, I’ll be able to bang out some patterns and some cool demos lol

2 Likes

yeah, that sure is. kewl.

1 Like

Well alrighty!

My light situation has been rectified.

I feel like a mad scientist a little.

I can 100% control these through the app. Not only for color, but lightshows.

My favorite feature as it stands, is that it hooks directly into my iPad and does a light show to any of the beats I am working on in real time.

This is far more fun for me than it is for you lmao

4 Likes

you ARE a mad scientist :slight_smile:

3 Likes

lol I just love messing with tech and figuring out how to get it jiving

I believe my lighting setup is complete and finalized :smiley:

Check it out. first part of the video is where I made critical decisions. Not that color, absolutely no audio synced lighting for presentations with my current setup.

Photo intermission shows current set up with lighting.

Final video section shows the result of the lighting in the photo. I am pleased as punch with it.

lemme know if that is good for MOD lol

1 Like

Okay, I recorded a new track with one of my samples. Same beat as last time as this was just a better track in my opinion lmao

I think the lighting is better, I did increase saturation a bit to make the colors pop more.

I think this setup will work great.

The Lead synth is actually an onboard synth (Nekali) with effects chain I slapped on. I posted the board too.

Hope all is well with you all, its time for me to relax a little lmao

3 Likes