Https:// reports "Disconnected"

Description referenced from homepage reports “Disconnected”, although MOD Plugin Store works.

How to reproduce

From the Ecosystem - MOD Audio website page, clicking “Try it out” redirects to which reports “Disconnected”

  • Operating system: (Linux, Mac or Windows)

Windows 11. Edge, Chrome Browsers

1 Like

Thanks for noticing, fixed now again.
Since this is a public instance, it can sometimes be put in a locked state. I added a rule to auto-restart every 24h now, so at maximum we need to wait for the next day to use it again.


I have been trying to play the audio files in, but I never get any sound even after enabling streaming. I love the idea of being able to try out pedals to find the sounds I am looking for without having to have a guitar or a mod device in my hands. I am using a Macbook Pro M1 2020 running Ventura 13.1. I’ve tried both Chrome and Safari with the same results…no sound. Is there something else I need to enable or a setting I might need to change?

I just tried and worked for me in Firefox. Do you have any ad blockers enabled or other browser plugins that might be interfering?

I have several plugins in Chrome, but none in Safari. I’ll try FireFox though. I am at a school that has a pretty good firewall and content filtering protocol that might be interfering as well. I’ll let you know how it goes.

The sound comes through WebRTC which uses random ports in the 16000-32000 range, easily blocked on the network level. Browser console can tell/report if such requests are being blocked.

Nothing on Firefox. I’ll try at home next. I get audio from YouTube and other audio sources online, but maybe I need to add mod audio to our allowed list for content.

This is what the browser console showed in FireFox:

BackgroundUpdate: _reasonsToNotScheduleUpdates: Failed to check for Maintenance Service Registry Key: [Exception… “Component returned failure code: 0x80004001 (NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED) [nsIUpdateProcessor.getServiceRegKeyExists]” nsresult: “0x80004001 (NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED)” location: “JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/BackgroundUpdate.jsm :: _reasonsToNotScheduleUpdates :: line 255” data: no]

Those seem unrelated

This one is from Chrome:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
manifest.json:1 Manifest: Line: 1, column: 1, Syntax error.
mod-ui.js?v=1678463112:215 Audio playback start Uncaught (in promise) Error: A listener indicated an asynchronous response by returning true, but the message channel closed before a response was received
manifest.json:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)

those are manifest/favicon related, not what we want in regards to WebRTC or ICE/STUN servers

Don’t know why I didn’t think of this yesterday, but I connected to my phone’s hotspot and was able to get the audio just fine, so it is definitely being blocked by our school internet for some reason.


It could be browser related too.

WebRTC is considered unsafe in some fields, because it uses p2p for communication which leaks your IP and a few other details.
For low-latency audio in browsers there are not many other choices though…