How to troubleshoot a pedalboard?

I had a pedalboard I have been working on for weeks. I do somewhat incremental saves. It was working fine the last time I was using it, but now when I load the pedalboard, I can see after loading the output lights on my Mod Duo X light red, as if there was a super high level output, and then the outputs are muted. I can see levels going in, and in some parts of my signal chain - I can see levels, but nothing is working properly.

I checked the usual stuff like ensuring that the play button was engaged for tempo related stuff. I can see sequencers are playing and they can be reset using buttons on the MDX, but signals are not being output.

I don’t think I’m using any beta plug-ins, and the CPU is at around 55%.

How do I troubleshoot this set up? I can load some older pedalboard and they work - the hardware appears to be fine, but this pedalboard which was totally fine, now loads and blows some output or something. . . ???

1 Like

Hi @S_Righteous

Is everything working fine with the default (empty) pedalboard?
If yes, my first atempt into troubleshooting was going to be to duplicate the pedalboard saving it with another name and start to pull out the plugins one by one.

3 Likes

random possibility, just 'cuz it’s something i ran into last week: is there a delay in the board? if so, is its feedback <100%?

…i mistakenly left my delay feedback at 100% (in the Bollie Delay that makes it ramp up quite quickly), and my outputs would routinely get pinned very quickly.

:person_shrugging:

1 Like

I was going to suggest this process as well.

Additionally, you might want to check your in/out gain settings in the config menus. I changed mine around once and forgot, and then all my pedalboards were way too quiet.

random possibility, just 'cuz it’s something i ran into last week: is there a delay in the board? if so, is its feedback <100%?

I believe this is what it was. Even with zero signal going in, the outputs would get muted after the pedalboard fully loaded. While it was loading, I could hear signal. In any case, changing the feedback and re-saving did not work. I went back to an earlier version I had saved, and re-did the work which was missing.

3 Likes

I have had some weird issues when building pedalboards, and I can never be sure, but sometimes think there are specific plug-ins which are a bit wonky. Is there a running list on this forum of plug-ins which people have had issues with? I assume if they make it into the library, they are 95% ready to use.

2 Likes

They are. Yet, it’s not impossible that somewhere in an OS update things got messed up with the X or Y plugin. I can’t remember any “running list” because this is something that appears once in a while and usually it’s fixed fairly fast. My suggestion is, if you manage to pinpoint any plugin with issues, please let us know what is the issue and plugin.

P.S.: I didn’t write it above, but the device may also be important here. Means, it’s possible that X OS update created problems with Y plugin on the MOD Duo X, but everything is fine with the MOD Dwarf.

1 Like