How do you use looping?

…not sure how the replies work on this platform - I click ‘reply’, but it doesn’t always seem to post as a reply.

1 Like

Latency is much lower on the hardware looper than these plugin-based systems as well. There are some things that can be done much better when you write all the code from the hardware up rather than use an existing OS.

3 Likes

Good to hear the plugin supports MIDI sync. You could sync to Jammans as a cheap and cheerful way to give other musicians individual loopers all running to the same clock - but it would all have to slave to an SDRUM. Still, if you use the audio from the SDRUM, you don’t need to hire a drummer so that means more beer money :beer:

2 Likes

I’ve tested code on Zynthian. It is an ok platform. I don’t think it is nearly as well done as MOD and certainly the kit nature of it will turn people away. As for SooperLooper, I’ve been considering creating a Jack-based application for people that want to loop on computers. Of course, that field is crowded. My hardware loopers aren’t cheap, but they offer stability and low latency that computers can’t.

6 Likes

Yeah agreed, hardware will always be the better option. The most important thing with latency is jitter really. Platforms like Bela (Beaglebone) and Elk audio (Rpi) get the latencies down to 1ms levels by using Xenomai to run dual kernels with the audio bypassing other stuff - so no Jack/ALSA etc. The Elk stuff in particular was looking to blur the lines between plugins and hardware and there’s also Eurorack stuff like the Bela Salt/Pepper and other Rpi based gear.

1 Like

The original LP1 ran Linux with a custom device driver that was able to process audio with latencies in the 100s of microseconds. I eventually chucked Linux as it wasn’t helping me. I may go back to Linux or an embedded OS, but for the moment I love having control over every clock cycle.

4 Likes

If it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it. You can always have the best of both worlds by developing these plugins as a side line. I have a few hardware based ideas for personal use, but it’s all beyond my capabilities currently so will need some more research into microcontrollers.

2 Likes

…software can give flexibility though, so there’s room for both. Like the flexibility software looping gives when combined with analog tape :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just being able to record the output doesn’t really meet my needs. I’ve taken loops recorded on the RC-5 and Pigtronix and they drop right into Ableton Live and everything is ready to go.

When I’m in a looping mood I will record a dozen loops at one sitting. Variations or trying to come up with part A/Part B or just different ideas with different sounds in the effects chain. So I also would like room for at least 50 loops before I need to move them elsewhere. The Pigtronix lets you set how many loops you can store and the max length is thereby set. It’s a relatively murky concept.

DL

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, can you disclose what you’re using right now for your hardware looper?

1 Like

I don’t understand the question. What exactly are you asking? Looperlative makes two hardware loopers both listed on the web site. Are you asking how they are built?

1 Like

You’re right… the question is not clear. I was referring to your previous post “The original LP1 ran Linux”. What OS is used now?

1 Like

No OS. All the code is custom written by me.

10 Likes

Respect!

6 Likes

Bumping this back to the top as I’m really hoping to get more people to respond to the poll. This will help me to produce the right set of features to help you.

8 Likes

I’ve been using the lp3 to create melodies/themes using a generative approach, with an external sequencer and a bitimbral synth.
Note triggers and gate lengths are randomized but are usually within a scale.

Mostly it makes bleeps and inconherent phrases, but using looper brings it within a context and gives the project a direction.
I try to Jam it out and build upon the loop in whatever way it fits. Haven’t delved into seeing how this approach could benifit from having it midi synced yet.

2 Likes

Honestly, there is no wrong way. I’m trying to learn how to adjust the controls and features to optimize the plugin to make it work for everybody.

6 Likes

I do a lot of live looping (Boomerang III looper in combination with the Dwarf) and I also purchased the LP3 plugin, but at the very beginning I encountered some problems with the sync as I described here:

I have to admit, that since then, I havent used the plugin that much, so I cant tell if these problems still exist.

But the first and most important thing for me would be stable midi-synced-looping.

Concerning behaviour/usuability: I really like the concept of the Boomerang (Boomerang III User Guide 2020 update .pdf - Google Drive), but perhaps a big part of my affection is due to the familiarization over the years I’m using it. There are also some really cool features implemented, like a copy function or quantization (“When an external MIDI clock is present, the loops will be quantized to the nearest quarter note, i.e. recording will start and end on the MIDI quarter note closest to your loop button tap. When playing a stopped loop, it will start on the nearest quarter note following a loop button tap.”). One drawback of the Boomerang is that you only could erase the last stacked/overdubbed part…

Perhaps some of mentioned features could be implemented into the LP3 as well, if not already done… I’ll have to do some more test with the LP3, to go into further detail.

2 Likes

MIDI sync does work, but it assumes 4 quarter notes to a bar and extends any loop to a full bar in length. It starts precisely when you press record and then makes certain that each loop is an integer multiple of the bar length.

7 Likes

Would it be possible to have an “fx send”? on lp3

I’m wondering whether it would be possible to have fx send/return per part?
For instance being able to loop one instance of dry sound, and changing to the next part/track with an fx send on.
Or could we have a setting to have audio inputs/outputs designated to parts?

There’s probably a work around i haven’t explored yet.

Could probably work with a pedalboard with two instances of lp3, one with dry and one with fx.
But the dwarf only have so many footswitches.

Secondly, is there any way to remap the “simple” trigger/loop functions to external midi sources?

1 Like