Help connecting Mod Dwarf to Loog Piano

Hi! Received a loog piano recently and am looking for help in understanding what I need to use it as a midi controller with the Dwarf.

The connector on the Loog is USB-C. Any help or recommendations on cables would be greatly appreciated.

If it is this https://loogguitars.com/products/loog-piano, I would think any USB C to USB A cable would be all you’d need.

1 Like

Indeed; USB A to the usb C on the Loog.

I use a Roland:Go piano as midi controller while I do a bunch of cool stuff on the Dwarf;

Synths but also “sound fonts” for out-of-box grand piano and Fender Rhodes sounds etc.
The flexibility for routing, effects etc on the Dwarf is crazy. Whether you just want to apply some effects to a sound or do your own itty-gritty synth building.

It’s a fun combo and part of why I bought the Roland:GO piano :smiley:

Okay. I am feeling really dumb.

1. I have a apk mini that I can connect via usb and it works right out of the box.
  2. I have tried USB C to USB A and can’t get the loog to do anything in Mod. I
  3. also have Mod connected to my mac at the same time (same thing I do with the apk mini).
  4. I did connect the loog direct to my mac and used logic as the brain and confirmed it works that way.

So leads me to think maybe the loog just doesn’t work with the dwarf?

It should work

Have you tried adjusing this USB mode setting?
https://wiki.mod.audio/wiki/Dwarf_Device_Settings#USB-B_Mode

Hi! I had not, but that looks to only be for the USB-B. I did try all three settings and changing did not make a difference.

I’m wondering if the MIDI Channel numbering is striking again. MOD MIDI channels start at 0, whereas many other pieces of gear start at 1.

Is there a way to manually set this? I don’t see one, but clearly not a super user.

You should see some midi coming in with the MIDI display - MOD Audio
Which channel your midi keyboard is using ?

Hi Rom. I do not see anything coming in when using that plugin. I am not sure what channel. I did put in a ticket with Loog for help as well.

That means your keyboard isn’t sending any midi

Your mod Dwarf is working properly when you use the audio inputs ?

Did you connect the virtual cable (blue plug on the left) of the USB midi to the plugin?

1 Like

Hi - I get it, but the keyboard is recognized and works without any effort when using Logic Pro on my mac. So the keyboard is sending midi, but not working with the dwarf atm.

Yes I did. I can get the mod dwarf to work fine with an akai mpkii. Never had an issue. Just the loog doesn’t seem to want to play nice with the dwarf.

Yeah - works fine with another midi keyboard and works fine with guitars/basses.