Headphones

Hi all, another thing Im not sure how to sort out.
When Ibuse headphones with the dwarf, the sound only comes out of the righthand side.
(The phones are fine in other situations .)
Any ideas?
TI A .

1 Like

Have you connected your signal chain to both outputs in the Pedalboard Editor?
ā€œOutput 1ā€ will be left channel and ā€œoutput 2ā€ the right channel, also when using headphones.

Not needed when you connect the Dwarf to a (mono) amp, but when using headphones, you should have both outputs connected (itā€™s enough to drag one cable from the last plugin to output1 and one cable to output 2, leaving the whole chaing before that in mono).

4 Likes

Hi, yes, I have tried that .
The problem seems inconsistent. Sometimes its ok, sometimes not.
Could it be that its to do with the headphone plug being the 4 contact type?

1 Like

ā€œ4 contactsā€ type is called TRRS. This is used by Apple on their products. The extra contact is used to control volume and/or allow for a microphone.

What you may need is a TRRS to TRS converter. This will allow only the left and right channels from your headphones to go through to non-Apple devices.

But, before spending money, you should try to find another headphone to try. A cheap airplane set would do fine. If you get no issue with those, then you get the adapter to use your Apple headphone.

1 Like

@Steve1 have you managed to fix the issue.
For your description of using a TRRS headphone, my experience says that that is the source of the issue and not on the Dwarf. Can you confirm it?

1 Like

Hi there, first, thanks for your help.
Yes, it was the trrs plug .
So far all problems Ive had have been external to the dwarf.
Its been quite a steep learning curve for me, but as I get to grips with it , it gets better and better !
Thanks again .

5 Likes

Iā€™m glad that you sorted it out @Steve1

I will take this opportunity hereā€¦we are working to improve the onboarding process. Do you have some suggestions on what is under-explained? Or which are / have been your biggest pain points?

2 Likes

HiJoĆ£oā€¦

To be honest, I think my main problem has been that due to other stuff in my life, my focus on the unit has been patchy. All the problems Iā€™ve had, have been promptly explained/resolved when Iā€™ve reached out on the forum .

I think that the very flexibility/openness of the whole environment led me to feel ā€˜all at seaā€™ tobegin with, but it does all fit together logically.

I think itā€™s great on all levels that Iā€™ve discovered .

Maybe a literal step by step instructions on how to get setup/started would be good, as well as covering all the (wide possibilities).?

Youā€™ve probably already done that somewhere .:slightly_smiling_face:

Keep up the good work !

4 Likes

Yesterday I finally had the time to develop more on this and hopefully news will come soon.
My plan is to release a small onboarding series with a video and a blog version. This should explain basics like I/Os, menus, what can you do where, etc.
Then I want it to move a bit more to deep dive in certain particularities and explain stuff like the Virtual MIDI loop back port or simple CV stuff (for example).

Maybe one thing that I was forgetting was indeed that the forum may be a great source of help.
I want to keep it as condensed and simple as possible, but make a smart use of all the possibilities (thinking that maybe the forum invitation should go to the description and not the video per se.

1 Like

Iā€™m about to buy a Mod Dwarf but was a little concerned to read a couple of posts on here which suggested that the headphone output is a little noisy? I spend a lot of time making effects patches while using headphones, using various iPad hardware effects units etc. Is the noise really that noticeable?

Speaking for my dwarf I donā€™t notice any noise at all on the headphones output (using DT770 - 250 Ohm)

2 Likes

Thanks for the info; youā€™ve put my pre-order mind at rest. :wink:

1 Like

I can be quite noisy depending the headphones output volume. But if you keep it low and raise the pedalboard out gain instead, itā€™s OK.

2 Likes

Just for clarityā€™s sake, Iā€™ll add that the headphone output is tapped from the Dwarfā€™s outputs. In other words, channel 1 out goes to left ear and channel 2 goes to right ear. There are some new plugins that will help you maneuver this arrangement.

As far as noise goes, Iā€™m not aware of anyone reporting noise specifically and only on the headphone out, but there are several reports of noise related to the power supply, which is usually resolved by using a power supply with no ground.

1 Like

Presumably turning the compressor off helps tooā€¦?

1 Like

Havenā€™t investigated that. Thereā€™s a built-in noise suppression tool, but it eats some CPU. I switched my IEC cable and donā€™t experience noise issues any longer.

1 Like

Ive not had any problems with noise from the dwarf. You have to set your chain of gain sensibly, and if you daisychain lots of high gain stuff, obviously noise wilm build up, but can be managed with a gate.
I have to say that the further I get into it , the better it gets .!

6 Likes