Guitar to bass best setup

I have found an old discussion on this topic, the user bulevardi created a pedalboard however the “store” is still no longer accessible.

Right now i have added guitarix’s detune to the chain to to switch when i want to play a bass with an octave down.
However it introduces some artifacts while playing and it’s not an ideal solution.

Do you guys have any recommendation to achieve best results?
Any feedback or pointers are very welcome

1 Like

I’m looking for this too. I’m currently fiddeling with a pedalboard where I split the signal in two paths to go into one guitar amp and one bass amp. For octave down i use the whammy. I get good results for a really fat metal tone. Clean “bass” sound is kinda ok, but I guess a lot of the credit for this goes to the bass amp and could definetly use improvement…

5 Likes

Thanks!
Luckily i saw the MOD Super Whammy was already installed. I have added it to the pedalboard and started playing with it!

4 Likes

I spend a lot of time trying to achieve a tolerable bass sound using a guitar. I tried a lot of different pitch pedals, the last one that I had over 2 years on my pedalboard was the EHX Pitch Fork, but since I have the dwarf the pitch fork was redudant and I sold it, because I achieved more or less the same tone with less noise with the dwarf.

This is the basic setup for my bass tone (yellow box). Inputs A, B, C (in the following screenshot) are the same dry guitar signal. I just use the stereo X-Fade to blend a bit of the dry signal into the signal. It is important that the MOD DROP plugin is set to “Hi-Fi” in the Fidelity settings to avoid artefacts. The EQ-section could also be in mono, no further amp or IR-section follows.

Sounds with an ES-339 guitar on Neck-Pickup-Position (Humbucker) playing a Ratatat-Bassline something like this:

6 Likes

Cool! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile: So you normally mix it up with the guitar sound or is it either one or the other?
I’m curious to know that especially since you are using the Hi-Fi settings you spend a big junk of CPU on that. I’m curious also to listen to how both sound together (if you do use both simultaneously).

1 Like

Hey thanks foe sharing your pedalboard and i got curious about your setup!

In this pedalboard do you also have a ‘clean’ guitar preset? Or is this one just for the bass sound?
If you also have a clean sound, how do you switch between lowered signal and clean signal? You’ve just assigned the on/off switch to your physical controler?

Good idea about adding a bit of dry signal to the lowered signal, I’ll try that

1 Like

@jon and @joaehun : here is a screenshot of the whole pedalboard, probably its the best way to show it. Input A is the guitar, Input B is a piano or a mic.

@jon: it is either one or the other. I do a lot of looping, so for example I play a bass line first and then the guitar part. Never tried it to work out a setup to use them at the same time, like the lowest two strings for Bass sound and the highest for clean guitar sound. Would be nice though…but seems much more complicated, you would need some kind of plugin to distinguish between the frequencies… how could you do that? is there a plugin?
Regarding CPU usage: I play with the buffer size of 256, so I never really touch CPU-critical values. I do not notice any differences concerning latency, even when I’m looping.

@joaehun : yes, I just use the “switchbox 1-2” and assigned it to a footswitch on the dwarf.

4 Likes

Quickly thinking, maybe a low pass filter or an EQ enhancing those two strings’ frequencies at the beginning of that chain would be a way to start. But I have serious doubts if it would work nicely due to harmonics, etc. I don’t think that there’s a plugin, particularly for that. @jesse, can you prove me wrong?

1 Like

@Florialdo thanks a lot for the mod drop suggestion. It does exactly what I was looking for in a decent manner, I don’t need anything more complex like the super whammy so far!
I noticed that indeed it sucks up some CPU in “hi-fi” mode but I think I can live with it.
I will share this pedalboard once the platform is back again I could no make it to upload it before it has been blocked

5 Likes

Great board - just tried copying your bass section - sounds great. But very intrigued by your “record” plugin- what is that - I’ve searched for plugins by “record” and not found anything. Does it actually record an audio file from what you are playing?

1 Like

You are right, if you search in the online plugin feed, it doesnt appear (because its beta?).
But have a look here:

Yes, it records the audio output. A very nice plugin from @brummer !

4 Likes

Hi, You have to enable the beta shop from the global settings and it will appear amongst the list of installable plugins.
Select “show beta plugins” from mod settings → advanced view.
I agree it’s great and very useful

3 Likes

Found it! Thanks!

3 Likes

Since this question comes up on a regular basis, I would consider eliminating this hurdle to be quite helpful for newbies. If one searches for a pedal that is in beta state but “show beta plugins” is disabled, there could/should be a popup saying that a plugin like this is found in beta and let the user decide whether this should be enabled.

4 Likes

That is one way to solve things (more technical, so requires devs time that are too overwhelmed).
Another way and more generic for all sorts of questions that pop in often is to improve the documentation on answering those questions. That is 99% on me and the idea is that the community helps us tackling these. So you are sort of already contributing :slightly_smiling_face:
Would you say that some small “tutorial” on a Learning Section of our website would solve this particular issue?

1 Like

don’t get me wrong documentation is important but in my opinion no one will read those. Especially if they are new to the platform and want to get started quick.
I would just enable the beta section by default. You still have to select the option in the shop to view the plugins and it doesn’t make much sense to me.

2 Likes

ah! Actually now I got better at what you mean! I had that issue the other day.
Personally, I tend to agree with you. It’s a bit confusing.

2 Likes