Gen~ to MOD, build system seems broken

Sure! I created it as a way for users to be able to compile plugins without needing a cloud service, but as long as that remains an option, I really don’t mind MOD (or anybody) modifying it/ hosting it on their own server. There are lots of things needing cleanup/optimization (maybe switching from flask to tornado, handling multiple concurrent requests/websocket connections etc.)

Regarding the license, what would you suggest? Would GPL3 be ok?

Hmmm, right now the lv2 folder is named by snakecasing the brand and plugin name, for example if you set the plugin name to “Best Reverb” and the plugin brand to “My Company”, the folder will be named my_company-best_reverb.lv2, but the files inside keep their default max-gen-plugin_dsp.so and max-gen-plugin_dsp.ttl names.

Does it make sense to also name the files inside the lv2 folder my_company-best_reverb.so and my_company-best_reverb.ttl?

Or just best_reverb.so and best_reverb.ttl?

The last suggestion seems to me the right one.
For example here is the result in my “user/lv2” folder of the “DEL4BPM” plugin which was made with the modwatcher:
Capture d’écran 2023-05-27 à 19.33.42
and therefore the folder containing these files should also be the name of the plugin

I tried several times to compile other plugins but no success.
Every time the Log is ok → “✓ Plugin should have been uploaded to device”, but the plugin does not appear in the GUI.
On the other hand I know that the plugin or part of it is here because I can access the .ttl file by ssh … But no way to use it because it doesn’t appear in the GUI plugins list.

In order to try to start over from the beginning, I tried to delete the container in Docker but when I launch the procedure again, it seems to resume the same container. I’m probably doing something wrong, what would be the way to rebuild the container from scratch?

I think you can do that with docker-compose build --no-cache modgen!
But first, can you see what happens if you uninstall the already installed plugin using the mod UI and then try to install one of the others?

Yes it seems that 's the problem, as soon as I uninstalled the visible plugin another popped up, some kind of hybrid with no sound. Do you know a way to SSH into the Dwarf and delete the bundle from the lib/lv2/ directory of the failed plugins? Or can simply I remove them from a backup and restore it?

You should be able to just do ssh root@192.168.51.1 with password: mod and then cd .lv2 to get into the plugins directory!

Regarding being able to install multiple plugins, I think that the Plugin URI has to be different for each one of them…

1 Like

You’re right.
After deleting all my tries, the first one reappeared. It’s broken and the compiler doesn’t work anymore for me.

1 Like

Hi Christosku
I spent some more time cleaning files and it works fine now. I have good results with several plugins (different URIs for each). Still some .ttl editing issues but I don’t think it’s related to your container as it was already the case with the Modwatcher.
Once again thanks for your help !

3 Likes

That’s great to hear! Yesterday I managed to compile a simple RNBO patch and run it on my DuoX, so I will move towards that direction now :smiley:

4 Likes

I too would love to see this feature back.

What’s even more clear is that it has not been fixed since.

That’s a decent and acceptable answer.

Thanks @christosku for getting this ball rolling.

2 Likes

there were some issues last few days/weeks that delayed all developments, hope the company can make a more wide report on it soon.

but we are coming back to it now. likely I will see about this new deploy method already next week

since the online builds were not working we now even shut down the resources it relied on, to reduce costs. already with the idea to replace it with a better, faster service.

5 Likes

@ miss_demeanor
Hi
It was a real problem for me when I got stuck with this issue.
Fortunately the docker container developed by Christosku works very well for me. So if I can help while waiting for the problem to be solved, in the meantime, if you’re ok with lv2 install on your Mod, you can send me your gen_exported files and I will resend you the lv2 .

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for looking into that, @falkTX. I understand MOD is under huge financial pressures right now. Disabling that server is a good idea if it’s not working and you have something better in the pipeline. Bottom line here is that it’s good to hear that Mod is listening and trying to sort things out. Thanks for your time and effort.

Thanks also for the offer, @zwabo. I lack some of the skills to run that on my own, but I’ll read the guides and give it a shot. Very kind of you.

2 Likes

Hi @christosku Thank you a lot for that work…
Everything worked for me BUT i own a mod duo gear which seems to need a different compilation of lv2…
I can see the exported plugin in the list but i get an error on loading it on pedalboard. Any idea on how to solve that?
Tnx

For Duo you need to modify the docker file and rebuild.
At the moment the image only supports DuoX and Dwarf.

Hi all,
any news on this thread? I tried to add a mod duo option on @christosku work… but something is going wrong and i’m stucked with my pedal. @falkTX it seems that for mod duo ./bootstrap.sh modduo-new minimal is not working… i tried also -static option but with no luck… anyone can help?
tnx

I am very close to have this working as a cloud builder thing.
so far I have verified that we can push plugin bundles into a unit from the web (but will need a 1.13.3 bugfix release if we want to support this on chrome-based web browsers), and also got a nicely automated way to trigger builds and fetch its output.

it is taking longer than expected due to having to do quite a lot of other things in between, but it is progressing.
once it starts working I hope we can involve the community as well in order to give support for not just max-gen but also rnbo, faust, puredata and all sorts of things. since they all work in a similar fashion behind the scenes…

7 Likes

Replying to myself, the builder is now online at http://builder.mod.audio/
Requires a MOD unit running the latest 1.13.3 release and connected to the PC via USB.

Documentation about the service coming soon. Also we need to resume our talks with Cycling 74 for updating the MOD package on their side…

5 Likes

big thanks for this, @falkTX !!
:pray: :clap: :person_cartwheeling: