Dwarf cpu upgrade

That’s sad… Of course “smarter, not harder” should always be the motto:)
But, when one is getting ready to dive into some serious hacking, seeing hardware ceiling this close is rather discouraging… Some generic SBC (rPi4?) with generic OSS stack (zynthian?) looks like better option then. Will probably take much more to setup initially, but then you’ve platform, which won’t die just because hardware gets outdated.
But back to MOD: if not overclocking and not upgrade board, new device then? When can we realistically expect one?

1 Like

From what you’ve written, I’m guessing you’re not aware of what’s been happening in the semi-conductor the last few years. Now that’s sad. Case in point, this morning I was looking for a Morningstar device and they’re all sold out on the site. In the forums they recently posted that they’re very optimistically not expecting a new shipment of chips until later this year - from an order placed a year or two ago.

I’m not speaking on behalf of the company, just as someone who’s been hanging out here for several years. I’d say the time frame is several years for a new device.

Good luck with that! Some of us here will be curious to see how it turns out.

Maybe try to hunt down a Duo X? Anyway, even when the next gen Red Dwarf is released, someone will show up to describe how they’re hitting limits with 43 plugins and 157 audio pathways, and really, how can anyone be creative like that? The good news for the rest of us is that for all of human history music been created with and defined by the limitations of the tools we were using. Even entire genres of music are predicated around what was possible to create with the tools at hand.

For what it’s worth, many of us have experienced the “Possibility Paradox” of the MOD devices. When you’ve been flying around in airplanes all your life, and someone puts you in a rocket, your perspective of where you can travel broadens exponentially. But that doesn’t mean it’s easy or even possible to fly it to every horizon, and sometimes that’s hard to accept. I hope you find some enjoyment with the device and seek help from the community with solving audio design puzzles in a satisfactory way.

10 Likes

What is the latency in miliseconds for 128 vs. 256 sample blocks?

1 Like

You can easily calculate this:

At 48000Hz and 128 samples per block → 128/48 = 2.67ms latency per block.

5 Likes

You have to add some ms for the analog → digital and digital → analog conversion, don’t know how much though

2 Likes