Dwarf CPU overclock

Would it be possible?

1 Like

@falkTX @Jan do you think that @redcloud wishes would be possible to fulfil?

1 Like

No, dwarf already runs warm enough as it is.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m already on the waiting list for the next dwarf with 4x CPU horsepower than DUO X and 8 freely assignable footswitches then :sunglasses:

7 Likes

WoW loool :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Can we discuss this a bit deeper? I recently peered inside - found no heatsinks. Do you think adding one can help? maybe also some holes in the casing?
CPU shortage is annoying enough for me to go this way. Yes I know - at my own risk :slight_smile: But is it possible at all? Any config where one could tweak the frequencies? And how much can be gained this way?

we are testing something for this at the moment, but max we can do is 1.5GHz, anything above this is unsupported by the cpu vendor.

9 Likes

Small update on this. While 1.5GHz boots fine in some units, it doesnt last long.
On units where it boots, using the unit on a normal fashion leads to full system deadlocks. On some units the system doesnt even boot up properly, sometimes not being able to start the recovery mode.
So 1.5GHz is out of question.

Quick tests on 1.4GHz are positive though. but not a whole lot testing done.

9 Likes

Thanks for the update! This is around 8% then… Not too much. But something anyway. Is the setting available? (was looking for boot/config.txt like rPi has, but nope:) Also with this tiny icrease, can we get away without hardware tinkering (heatsinks etc)?

1 Like

Yes, I was surprised at how warm it does get.

1 Like

Not available, it needs some custom entries on the kernel device tree file side.

That is the big question… Stability-wise it seemed ok, but we need to run tests regarding temperature to make sure it is actually safe.

1 Like