Dwarf and BT

NO, no, wait… I probably got a little confused. For this reason I wanted to transcribe all the steps I did WHILE I was doing them.
I know Dwarf doesn’t have BT built in. I mean I always used the connection via USB but since I tried the connection via BT (with an Avantree DG40S BT key) it never worked. So there is no setup that I was able to pair before and now I’m not… AND
Bluetooth PAIR with android phone or tablet works every time, infact at step 5 and 6 I wrote that both Tablet and Dwarf show CONNECTED. Is the Browser connection that doesn’t work.

I don’t really know where to look now!!! I have also checked for devices in my house with the same address, for conflicts … but no, Television, Alexa box, all are on different address.

The Android version:
Samsung S22 ultra v.13, Samsung A 52s v.13, Samsung A7 Tablet v.12 and Samsung S4 Tablet v.10

2 Likes

If you haven’t already - try turning on airplane mode on your android phone, and then turning back on (just) bluetooth. Because if you have a data connection via mobile network, then turning off only wifi doesn’t actually turn off internet connectivity. (The exact instruction in the documentation is “turn off the internet connection.”).

I just tried three new (different) bluetooth adapters, and confirmed that two of them worked fine for me - so long as I turn off internet including 4G, as I noted above. I’ve updated the table in the Bluetooth wiki page.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification :slight_smile:

Ok. If the Dwarf shows as connected, it makes me feel that the issue is on the Android side again (maybe some blockade of the system (?)).
Did I understand well that you use to use another dongle? Can you still use it and would that one work?
I’m asking because the problem may be actually between the dongle and the Android.

Oh! Well spotted and thanks for the update @sloedowncadet

3 Likes

I didn’t try it, I’ll right now. But I don’t understand…what is the purpuse of switch on the internet connection in the BT section (step 6 of the wiki) and switch off wlan (wifi) and the internet connection?.. anyway… I’ll try

1 Like

Yes you understand well but the second BT key isn’t compatible with Dwarf. I’ve already tried and in Dwarf, Menu->Setting->BT I read Status: Unsupported.
It’s an Asus Bt500 with Bt version 5.
I’ll try the suggestion above but if it works … what is the purpuse to enable internet connection in the BT section and disable whole connection on the phone?
How can I download plugin update or pedalboard if I need? Maybe there is something that I don’t understand…

1 Like

The purpose of enabling the internet connection for bluetooth, and disabling wifi and 4G/mobile data, is so that when you tell the browser to go to 192.168.50.1 it will use the bluetooth connection (so that it finds the MOD application which is running on a webserver inside your MOD device), and not use the internet (which will fail because the 192.168.50.1 webserver is not on the internet)

3 Likes

OK, ok that was my mistake. Reading the WiKi I understood to disable the WiFi BUT NOT the whole data connection. Following the instructions of @sloedowncadet now the BT connection works on all devices, also thanks for the changes on the WiKi pages.
But my doubts remain!!! What’s the point of not being able to access the Pedalboards and Plugins if I connect via BT? It is true that it is not a big problem, after all the BT connection is intended to make on the fly or emergency changes…
I have at least one other device that connects this way (with internal WebGUI) but this one has internal BT and a small App for Android that allows you to activate the internal GUI and use the phone normally.
Anyway thanks for the support from all of you, in the end it only counts that I understand the problem and solved it-
Thanks

2 Likes

The MOD bluetooth approach works without the need for any app (so it works in android, ios, macos, windows) - that’s the advantage. If you need full connectivity, use USB.

Of course other approaches, which are different, would have different behaviours. I imagine things could be refined and enhanced further over time, possibly even without needing apps.

Out of interest, what is the other device/app you mentioned?

3 Likes

@Rino2 not trying to throw the issue to someone else, but this is the way that Android deals with connectivity in this type of devices (when they don’t have an app to fix things in the “backstage”).
On other devices with other systems this is handled differently and you can still use everything (like iPad or iPhone).
On another end, updating or installing stuff via Bluetooth it’s not something that I would recommend since the connection is not that reliable to transfer bigger bulks of data at once.

2 Likes

Another little question… Have you ever tried to connect Dwarf to Tablet/phone (android) via USB???
As you know for the modern Tablet with USB C type there are external tools (box) with HDMI, USB, Net, and power connection.
There is/are configuration option?

1 Like

Thought about it, but never tried it. Bluetooth works very reliably for me.

2 Likes

Thanks, for me too but it’s really slow…

1 Like

I have my MDX set up with USB to my ipad.

I’ve used both bluetooth and wired connections. For android, I never spent enough time getting bluetooth to work.

I use a stand that has a dock with my ipad and connect the usb to the dock. It allows me to download the push updates (couldn’t on bluetooth) and it is much quicker than the bluetooth connection.

Its worth a shot if you have the ability to connect it through USB. I am not sure if it will give you better results if you are using an android tablet, and I don’t own an android tablet to test on unfortunately.

1 Like