Ducking with cv

Hi, how would you go along when wanting to create a ducking effect? Meaning the fx is lowered in volume when the input volume is high. I tried an envelop follower with a VCA. But could not get it to work. Any Ideas?

If all you want is a ducking effect, and not really care about CV, you can use the ZamAudio compressor.
It has a dedicated input for sidechain (requires enabling it on the settings to make use of it)

3 Likes

Cool! I’ve been wanting to make a Ducking Tremolo effect. No such thing exists in the real world… at least none that I’ve found.

3 Likes

ZamCompX2 looks really promising and will give it a go tonight. Great Tip.

Still I would love to go down the CV path as well. Just to have mabe a little more control and different applications.

4 Likes

The first step would be to have something that generates a CV signal based on audio levels, not raw audio but an average like RMS.
Then some slew rate limiter to make the changes less abrupt (sorta faking an ADSR) and it should not be too bad.
Signal likely needs to be inverted, depending on what you want to do.

4 Likes

@Gino
With Cv you can do a lot of thing.
I’ve done a dynamic drive pedal with the collision drive.
Later I’ve had a dynamic reverb to it.
It doesn’t exist somewhere else.
https://forum.moddevices.com/t/collision-drive-dynamic/6927?u=julien

2 Likes

That is the point where I got stuck. I could not find the function 1 - x ?

@llorenzo
You should look to my example.
In my example I use cv to turn up drive and turn down level of the collision pugin at the same time depending on the audio level.
I think that you’ve got all what you need with the Audio to cv plugin, CV ABS plugin to keep only a positive value, Slew rate to slow it down and many Parameter plugin to amplify in positive or negative way.
You wouldn’t find a plugin that will be a all in one solution.
But perhaps it should be on the to do list?

2 Likes

There is a CV ADSR in the beta shop.

2 Likes