Double octaver for soprano saxophone

I have recently started using my Dwarf for saxophone. Wanted strong octaver and some reverb.

Unfortunately the 2voices plugin can do -12 only. Luckily got an idea to chain two of them in series which does what it should perfectly!

the 2voices however raises the CPU load 2x30% so it is on the limit of usability…

7 Likes

What about latency - is it twice more noticable?

2 Likes

This plugin can do a 15vb (-2 octaves) :

This one too :

Not sure about the CPU consumption though

6 Likes

It seems like there are a lot of people recently looking for an extended range on the MOD pitch shifters, I will raise this with the team to see if we can expand the range for the plugins.

In the meantime, you can manually change the min and max pitch shift amounts with some magic in the terminal. Check this post from a while ago to learn how:

8 Likes

the first one has hearable artifacts.

Second one works much better bu does not seem to do any better job than the 2voices.

There are two types of octavers. One replaces the octaves with synth tones and you could hear the tracking (GxOC2).
Second type works well for any frequency and even vibratos sound natural (2voices, Gxdetune?)

2 Likes

Drop plugin , as 2 Voices works well with a quite natural sound and probably save some cpu usage. Furthermore if you follow the Jesse link you’ll be able to go -24 directly using only one drop

3 Likes

yes - tried to change the ranges in shell, but see no difference in the UI… 2Voices and Drop

1 Like

Try loading the web interface in a fresh incognito window, these kind of hacks can sometimes mess a bit with the web browser cache.

2 Likes

yup - that did the trick. Works only for the Drop plugin, not for the 2Voices

2 Likes

Glad to hear it worked for the Drop plugin, I suppose something went wrong with editing of the file for the 2voices then. I tried it here and works for both plugins for me.

2 Likes

I tried for both and it worked! Make sure that when you go into /mod-2voices.lv2/ that you use a capital V when editing the file 2Voices.ttl! I used the lowercase and it wouldn’t even bring up the file. ALSO, for some reason I cannot see the changes in either plugin unless I use a chrome incognito tab, even after trying to clear all the site settings. And even though I can’t see the changes in the knobs in a regular browser tab, I CAN manually changes the values lower than -12.

Edit: As Jesse stated, clearing the browser cache will make the changes visible. I incorrectly assumed that clearing the site data in Chrome would do the same! WRONG!

2 Likes

I am using the dwarf for 1 year or more on the sax (mainly tenor) too but i have many issues on stage and envisage to return to my previous effect chain. CPU usage is one of the biggest problem mainly with octavers filters and harmonizer. Sound quality and dynamics are often poor. The concept is realky great but the implementation a bit disppointing, tricky, not clean. The bug that requires to use a knob to change the pedalboard is also a big issue (you are constantly bend to switch the set up on stage it s ridiculous). It s also a bit a geek thing and you spend hours to find basic things like autowah that are verypoor compare to an electro harmonix one. The only effect really killing is the shimmer reverb. Happy to share experience.

1 Like