Device LCD interface repository

Yeah, a Dwarf really is the best option at this point :wink:

2 Likes

I investigated the options listed, Zynthian, Pi-stomp, PISound and Patchbox … but with an unacceptable outcome … the audio of a Pi and HiFiBerry was not up to the task.
Mod have created an amazing device in the Dwarf, Even open sourcing the s/w (as they have largely done) would not negate the power of their h/w.
S’manth x

3 Likes

In Pi-Stomp, we’re using the iqaudio-codec and the sound quality is amazing, easily comparable to big name products.

1 Like

What h/w are you using @micahvdm ?
Being a battery based player, the option of a battery powered device is very appealing to me.
S’manth x

It’s a pi3 A+
Battery power bank is definitely usable, the whole device runs on 5v

1 Like

What audio interface are you using? I’ve tried a HiFiBerry DAC+ ADC Pro and it was too noisy, even after I applied foil shielding etc. I also had audio glitches (clicks/dropouts) using it with a Pi 4b.
S’manth x

We’re using the iqaudio-codec zero, but we have input buffers for correct impedance, which makes a big difference. What settings were you using with the hifiberry? It’s a really good and quiet sound card. Were you using a psu with enough current? Under voltage and under current can cause some nasty noise too…

2 Likes

I was using a real time kernel on top of the latest PiOs, with a 128 sample rate using 44.1k.
Despite shielding the IO cables and the HiFiberry hat (which I had moved to be off board) I was still getting a lot of random clicks/pops (something I do not experience with my Dwarf)
I was using a 3A mains power supply, which I believe is OK; the audio artifacts persisted when I switched to a high power USB battery unit.
Both my Pi and my HiFiBerry were survivors of a fire in my home, but they seem to have passed this literal trial by fire and are still operational, tho this might be the root of my issues.

Really confused why my kit is so troublesome!
S’manth x

1 Like

Whoa, that’s crazy!! Was there noise before it got melted? The clicks and pops sound like xruns, this might be due to high load or thermal throttling. It’s possible that something on your pi got damaged during the fire. I have a pi3b that’s gpio are blow, but it still works. By works I mean that it can boot os and run, but it thermal throttles within minutes…

2 Likes

Wow, it is now a Giger style kind of biopunk pedal. Looks cool in a some twisted way.

2 Likes

sorry to hear that. I used a RPI4 with the same IQaudio Codec Zero and I got no noise at all.

4 Likes

Totally agree! I have since stripped it down and rehoused it. :smile:

5 Likes

I will need to try an iqaudio-codec zero, it is not too costly from Pi Hut … unclear tho if it handles audio in (ADC) as well as out (DAC)
S’manth x

It is a ADC and DAC

1 Like

Awesome! I’ll give it a go.
What Software/Settings are you using?
S’manth x

the new enclosure looks awesome! (I’m not being snarky. I love cardboard designs!)

2 Likes

I’m using Pi-stomp which is running at 48khz 128 samples and 2 periods.

1 Like

My 3D printer also melted in the fire and I’ve not (yet!) been able to get it up and running, but I will!
Careful measuring with a metal rule, a sharp knife, duct tape and patience paid off.
S’manth x

2 Likes

@micahvdm do you post on the Blokas forum as Deathbeard?
S’manth x

The amount of positivity you have throughout that life changing event is inspiring to me.

I’m glad you werent hurt at all, and have been able to recover :slight_smile:

2 Likes