Desertion

hmmm I have no way to record right now… I was stupid enough to imagine plugin the headphone cable in my laptop and record, but of course it is just an audio cable, it probably needs to convert to mic, and googling it shows stuff about low impedance and balanced signal which I am not educated about.

That would be true of most players I suspect and is exactly why Synth manufacturer (Roland, Korg, etc.) have kick-arse presets. Most keyboard players never use more.

1 Like

I had noise issues with my Dwarf until I powered it with a TrueTone CS12. That said, I found it complicated and clunky to use in my bass rig. It seemed that my gain structure was all over the place and what worked when I set it up in my studio didn’t work with the live rig, meaning I was always tweaking things, but not always having access to the right parameters. The in and out gains don’t have enough range at the higher ends, so the signal coming out seems weak and doesn’t always play friendly with the effects on either side of it. I definitely hear a degradation of tone. So, I’ve been taking a break. My ideal use would be for gain and effect-y sounds going into an H90 for delays and reverbs. One of these days, I’ll get back to it. I love the concept.

2 Likes

I’ve used quite a few digital effects that are not boutique level and yes the gain staging between pedals is not the same as analog and can confound and make things really bad going from home setup to live setup. If you don’t have access to the MFX like Dwarf with a phone app or pad/surface to get at all gain stage levels reset at soundcheck (I know many of us do not even have that luxury) you can tie yourself in a knot sonically trying to dial things in live, including all the noise talked about. I think a youtube video from MOD Devices with those pro players using lhe Dwarf live on tour and overcoming these challenges on the road might go a long way.

6 Likes