D*rkglass emulation?

Hi, there. It’s good to hear that MOD is going to continue in some form.

There seem to be more than a few bass players using MOD devices. I was wondering if there’s any thought been given to trying to create a plugin that’s similar to Darkglass’ B7K. I’ve tried using different combinations of amps & fuzz/distortion pedals but not close enough to satisfy my ear.

5 Likes

Hi @Roachmanfwa
Did you try the IR plugin with a good impulse response ?

1 Like

Rom,
What IR plugin?

1 Like

The IR Loader Cabism : MOD - IR Loader Cabsim

2 Likes

I know what the IR loader cabsim is. What does that have to do with a pedal that mimics the B7K pedal? Maybe I’m kind of thick, but I don’t see the relationship.

1 Like

Oh sorry, as i don’t know what a Darkglass’ B7K and as you’ve talked about combinations with amps I conclude too quickly you were looking for an amp sim.
That said, if you find (or make) an IR of this pedal you should be able to get close (but only 1 single setting with no knobs).

1 Like

It is (apparently) a saturation and equalizer pedal.

This is not something that “loading an IR” will provide.

2 Likes

I don’t have a pedalboard to share instantly, but I can advise you to use the Two-Way-Crossover filter when you want to create a good sounding bass-distortion board.
Set the crossover at around 1kHz and only distort the higher frequencies. Then you can use one of the harsher sounding distortions like the CollisionDrive from Brummer or others you like. I also like to add the Rakarrak EQ at the end with the combined paths to highlight the higher frequencies.
Hope this helps a little. May others can also tell how they create their bass distortions. That would be highly interesting for me too. :smiley:

7 Likes

I’ve done something almost exactly like that in the past. I’ve A/B’d it against the Neural DSP emulation of the B7K, and there’s something missing. The DG pedal (and most of their distortion pedals, I think) scoop the mids a particular way that I haven’t been able to replicate yet.

5 Likes

I’ve worked on chasing the DG tone (again) tonight. I’ve come up with something I like, though I know at this point it sounds quite different than my ultimate goal. One thing I’ve noticed, though, is that whatever I use to craft the higher frequencies (distortion/fuzz/overdriven amp) is that they don’t handle the transients of slapping & popping well AT ALL. The sound gets brittle and unpleasant as well as not natural sounding. Has anyone else run into this, and did you find a solution? I tried putting a limiter in front of the stage but that didn’t help. That’s one of the things I admire about the DG products - they have great distortion but when you slap, it sounds like slapping; the OD doesn’t overwhelm what you’re actually playing. I don’t really want to have to buy the pedal; in my mind, that would defeat the purpose of having the Dwarf.

2 Likes

@Roachmanfwa which plugin(s) are you using to simulate DG tone?

1 Like

I tried around a little at home, and i think one of the key steps is to apply some EQ before going into the distortion pedal. I don’t have the real thing at home, so I can not A/B it, but this seems to lead in the right direction:

(Had to apply a lot of EQ, since my strings are quite old at the moment :sweat_smile: )
Edit: Input is around -15dB

2 Likes

A bass player has old strings on? Noooo! Hahaha! I just changed my strings a few months ago. I realized that the set I’d been playing was well over 5 years old. Likely closer to 10.

6 Likes

Haha, well it’s not as bad as five years, but Covid brought quite a stop to my regular string-switching routine… :grin:

3 Likes