Cycling74 RNBO

Hi all,

how does the recent announcement of RNBO by Cycling74 affect the creation of plugins using Max/MSP? Does anybody know if there are advantages of using RNBO over gen~?

Thanks, Hans

4 Likes

+1 .

1 Like

I have been following the announcement at cycling 74’ as well,
It seems that most of the tool set capers to easy porting to other devices? Therein web/net integration and plugins?
So I would also like someone to explain to me what this means in laymens terms.

Does rnbo do anything to the development of new plugins to mod?

1 Like

If my understanding is correct, Mod’s current plugin builder for gen~ objects would need to be adapted (if not fully rewritten) so as to operate with RNBO.

I’m not sure if gen~ has been deprecated already or if it will be phased out.

2 Likes

RNBO supports gen~ as well, it’s not going to go anywhere (gen~ is part of regular Max/msp, for rnbo you have to get a separate subscription).

An RNBO wrapper would require a completely different integration and would work completely separately from the gen~ one.

It’s funny that some of the promotional videos actually feature a DuoX even though there is no project that actually runs RNBO based code on MOD gear yet (that I know of).

Do note that with both gen~ and RNBO all copyright of the generated c/c++ code belongs to Cycling '74

4 Likes

RNBO is the “next generation” gen~

Both generate compilable C code

gen~ had the limitation of only being able to deal with continuous signal in/out (effects mainly).

RNBO handles events and allows the creation of MIDI synths, for example.

We will at one point integrate this into our system, just as we did with gen~

16 Likes

Yes, please! Yes, please! Yes, please!

:face_holding_back_tears: :face_holding_back_tears: :face_holding_back_tears: :face_holding_back_tears: :face_holding_back_tears:

8 Likes

Is there and feature request or roadmap I can upvote?

4 Likes

Hey, just starting to discover this a bit, the possibilities seem great. This could be quite an influx of new pedals:

2 Likes

Hi! just came here curious because im seriously thinking of buying a Dwarf and RNBO support will definetely be past the tipping point. :smiley:

Is this something we can expect in the near future?

thanks!

Hello, I’m also wondering if any progress has been made on this - from what I can see the builder is still Gen/Faust/Heavy.

The Dwarf being a reliable RNBO host would make it indispensable for me as well!

There are the web compilers for ~gen around. And I think the step to rnbo is propably not that hard:/ they’re kind on it Gen~ and rnbo~ plugin builder - #11 by falkTX

But you know it’s a small team. And I have to say the resonance for the gen / pd stuff in the community is not really big. I have the feeling If more people were using it, or posting about it, it would give the whole thing a boost.

So maybe start in ~gen and share your progress here as a start :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, I’m sure you’re right that it’s a small market for RNBO/Gen/Max hosts!

I would love to pick up a Mod Dwarf and start playing with gen~, so I will definitely share if I do.

However, most of my recent development has been in RNBO.

I am particularly interested in using RNBO’s polyphony management in Dwarf, which doesn’t exist in gen~.

Anyway, I will continue to watch development, and consider this a +1 for the development of a RNBO builder!

1 Like