CV parameter range and operational mode

Hello everyone.
I seem to be even more of a math dummy than I thought.

I’m having trouble understanding the relation between the ‘range’ of a CV controller and the ‘operational mode’ (which can be 0 to 10 OR -5 to +5 OR -10 to 0), which you can specify in the advanced window when assigning a CV controller.

I have tried out different parameters that have different ranges (-80 to 0, 0 to 1, -24 to 6, etc) with the different operational modes of a CV controller and I don’t understand the resulting parameter values.

I couldn’t find an answer on this on the Wiki.

Who can help the mathematically challenged?..

@Clemens,

My math dumbness reaches interplanetary proportions, so there’s nothing for you to fear. :upside_down_face:

The issue here is: MOD operates with a 10 volt overall range for CV controllers. (If I’m not mistaken, the MOD X Limited was only 5.)

(Traditionally, all the notes were spread into a 5V range, but Korg and Yamaha implemented a 10V range for – supposedly – more accurate control. Also, the audio signal usually works in a -5 to 5 V range.)

Therefore, these 10 volts can take a control knob from minimum to full, be it 0 to 1, 0 to 127 (midi value), -60dB to 0dB, and so on.

Perhaps this plugin can help (if you’re not already using it). I takes the voltage and creates a port that you can map to other parameters and gives you control over range and depth:

If you’re driving your CV with an audio signal, then you must employ this one:

In any event, if you can describe your setup or post a snapshot of your pedalboard and state what are you trying to achieve, it might be easier to understand what’s going on. For instance: what are you using to deliver CV to MOD? What is the source range? What plugin are you trying to drive?

A good staring point is to measure the voltages you’re inputting with this handy plugin:

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thank you for your detailled answer, Marc!

I actually only want to use the whole CV side to build complex and multiple controller assignments on my DuoX. I don’t use any CV controlled hardware. My goal is to turn one knob and have that translated into all kinds of different controller moving behaviour.

At the moment, I am trying to learn the precise functions of all the available CV ‘modulators’, some of which you pointed out. Most if not all of what I’d like to do seems possible with those tools; it just takes me a long time to understand their workings.

The options in the assignment of the ‘operational mode’ seem another possible source for me to achieve what I’m trying to realise. But the behaviour is puzzling me.

For example: setting it to “-10 to 0” causes the parameter (let’s say a volume control with a range from 0 to 100) to behave differently that if I set it to “-5 to +5”. And from the resulting values of that volume control, I don’t get what the ‘operational mode’ precisely does to the value. Multiplication? Percentage?

To give a precise example:
a parameter value from -24 to 6 will move within the following range:
-24 to 6 (‘operational mode’ setting 0 to 10)
-9 to 6 (‘operational mode’ setting -5 to 5)
always 6 (‘operational mode’ setting -10 to 0)

I would like to be able to anticipate what will happen.

Thanks again & Cheers from the Netherlands!
Clemens

Hi Marc,
Thanks for your continuous contributions to the forum!

I can clear up some things here, we are basically talking about 2 different things.

The DuoX hardware has a CV I/O, these have a range of 0 to 10V (indeed 0 to 5V on the limited edition units). The DuoX does not have bipolar CV, this is a set range.

Inside the pedalboards there are also virtual CV’s, these have a range of -10V to +10V, this is because some plugins (lfo’s for instance) do use a bipolar voltage.

To come to @Clemens’s question,
when a CV signal is assigned, there is a link to be made from the CV signal to the parameter range.
You can set the ''modulation depth" so to say by changing the parameter range.
The operational mode then maps the CV range to this parameter range.
So in these 3 cases:
0 to 10V → 0 volt is min, 10 volt is max
-5 to 5V → -5 volt is min, 5 volt is max
-10 to 0V → -10 volt is min, 0 volt is max

I highly recommend checking out the Attenuverter Booster to change CV ranges. You can get quite some complex macros this way :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

Thanks @Jan for your clarifications – especially regarding the input range. I will edit the original post to that effect.

I don’t use any CV gear before or after the MOD, so I’m speaking on very theoretical and overly generic terms. Sorry!

Well @Clemens, it looks like that parameter in the plugin is only responding to positive values. If the range is -6 to 24, that means you have 30 steps, correct? (if my dumb math is right). Therefore:

1. When set to positive (0 to 10), you get the full range;
  2. When set to bipolar (-5 to 5), you get the middle value to max (as if it’s going from 15 to 30, just half of the range);
  3. When set to negative, you never actually get any change at it stays at the initial value.

(MOD folks, please correct me if I’m wrong here.)

Regarding #2, I would need to know if you get the full motion of the encoder actuating on that parameter or if it only starts responding form halfway up.

Also, there are some settings inside plugins that will make them reset to a certain value or hold the value of the last input received (forgot what the name is right now, sorry. Retrigger perhaps? Hold?)

Again, an example of what you are trying to achieve can be of help. Bear in mind that you can use the same CV cable and input it to various CV plugins with different output actions, so you can have for instance an increase from zero to max turn one knob clockwise and another one counter-clockwise. Or else, you can have whatever value input fire a GC gate trigger that will turn on or off some plugin (a 0 or 1 value). (I am halfway through building a pedal that will use precisely that, hope to release it soon).

Your post has the answer you’re looking for. For that specific parameter, use positive range! :slight_smile:

Thanks to both of you for your detailled and quick responses! (What an excellent forum…)

I think I get your points.

I have been checking out the CV tools that you mentioned in your posts. I think I get them, but their behaviour often is still different from what I expect. But that’s part of the game… :slight_smile:

In the case of my example, your explanation of the behaviour of the plugin makes complete sense. One important fact for me is your statement that only reacting to positive values might be a trait of this particular plugin. In other words: a different plugin might behave differently. This didn’t occur to me yet and can be really confusing!

I’ll run with this information and will not assume things to behave identical on the next plugin.

Thanks again for your time and wisdom!

Cheers.
Clemens