Content Exchange

Thanks @jon and @James

I love this community and I’m always stoked to make stuff to share here.

I use my MDX or dwarf in everything I make, so you guys are the real MVPs imo

5 Likes

Well hello there.

It’s me again.

I returned to my horror roots on this one.

This is just a soundscape seeing what I could do with the SP2, Strega, 0-coast, and the MDX. Turns out it can give me anxiety.

Here is the pedal board, it’s specific for this set up, so probably of no use lmao

Hope all is well!

8 Likes

Pretty cool man! Thanks for sharing!
I love the mood and the graphics :slight_smile:

I can see this either in a si-fi movie or as an intro of some concept album. Setting me right on a specific mood for what comes next. Well done :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Jon!

3 Likes

@Elk_wrath
wow… “horror” is the right title… ice cold and very immpressive. You should create music for movies…

5 Likes

Hey Kim!

That’s super kind of you to say!

I’ll stick to YouTube lmao, I don’t have the skillset (yet) or confidence to share anything outside of my channel haha

That being said, I can make some baby steps in that direction.

The Mars rovers have some cool videos of the Martian surface, I think one of my projects is going to score one of the recent video clips.

5 Likes

Cool! I am looking forward to this!

3 Likes

Dude this is so sick!

Your sound design is awesome man, completely legit
I think if you spend some time on composition to bring a bit more progression into the track it would feel like a really cool earie soundtrack. As it is, it would already be super cool for like an endlessly repeating game ambience.
I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t already go beyond youtube
Great stuff man!

4 Likes

Gerat job, @Elk_wrath.

Allan Holdsworth wrote an entire album for a “nonexisting movie”. Your sonic landscapes are very evocative, so you should absolutely give it a try.

Totes profesh! Word!
:smile:

4 Likes

Well, that’s actually my goal currently. I have acquired several new courses, theory books, an interactive composition based sketch pad to work on ideas, and a sequencer designed around exploring music theory and harmonics. Supposedly, this sequencer will allow me to import midi files from my sketch pad, and then I’ll be able to focus on the sound design after the main structure has been completed and imported.

This past year and some change (damn near 2, but haven’t been consistent), I have spent learning east/west coast synthesis, gear communication, effects, CV manipulation, cross mods, making videos, editing, recording stems, sampling, building beats, etc…

It’s been pretty productive considering I picked up my first instrument in 2020. I should have been better about working on this stuff every day, but it’s a hobby for me and I have to balance my time lmao

Both of my MOD devices forced me to learn more about audio than any other piece of gear I’ve owned.

Gain staging in particular has been something that I got familiarized with due to the MOD platform. I still don’t have it down fully, yet, but I’ve made massive improvements imo. Not to mention the massive flexibility in signal routing and effects chains.

Because this platform motivated me to learn, as well as provided an easy to use GUI, I will always promote it to others.

I will at some point. However, I am really critical of myself, and would like to make structured and cohesive cinematic style recordings.

Actually, I just want to make all sorts of stuff to see what I truly enjoy making. Most of my stuff is a mishmash of different experiments. I have yet to find my “voice” as an “artist” and I am hoping that as I learn more about the theory, I’ll be able to dial in a sound for myself.

That being said, I’ll probably be on a production hiatus for a little bit while I work on some new patches, practice some theory, experiment with effects, and integrate some new kit that will give me better to tools to explore “music” rather than “noise” like I am currently.

I say all this with bright eyes and a bushy tail, let’s see if my willpower matches my desires lol

Hope all is well!

Edit: I will say that my most viewed video has been a single take drone track using a single monophonic strega.

Really makes me ponder my future as a “musician”

6 Likes

yes. absolutely. once you learn enough to forget it all, the “bright and bushy” will explode! :yum: :star_struck:

5 Likes

Well, wanted to try out just some hand keyed work on the rover footage.

The footage looks “foggy” so I added a lot noise

Oh, yeah…

Set up:

Hydrasynth is hand played with a Polyphonic Sawtooth patch, aftertouch used for expression. Aka, harder the press, the louder the voice.

The Hydrasynth is stereo out, so I ran L/R channels independently and fed each one into a strega. I used 2 stregas, each with similar settings, but slightly different patches.

The stregas are pitched controlled by the CV out on the Hydrasynth, and both stregas have been pitch modified to add volume to the sound.

I used the Hydrasynth CV gate out, ran it into the MDX, duplicated the input into independent envelopes, and out into each strega activation inputs.

From the Strega outs, I ran direct into the MDX.

Effects:

Both inputs have TTaP delays run in parallel. From there, it runs into a stereo mixer, then through a shimmer reverb, a gain plugin, and finally, RMPro with “master shine”

The TTaP is awesome for pingponging delay through L/R channels.

All audio is recorded directly from the outputs of the MDX into my audio interface.

I did have to do some EQ processing, as my studio monitors come nowhere close to presenting a headphone experience.

Edit: the thing I’ve been waiting for has finally arrived, a full 5 days ahead of schedule even

7 Likes

Howdy Howdy,

I finally decided to record a bit of some of my experimentation with the OXi One, Strega, 0-coast, and MDX.

I continually get lost in this patch and I’m still learning both the patch and the O1. I actually learned that I need to adjust my monitors for mixing and get a proper response from my sub.

Anyway, here it is. It’s longer than I wanted for sure.

Hope all is well!

11 Likes

I’ve been without internet for weeks, secondary install also was unsuccessful; so it’ll be a few weeks more :frowning:

In the meantime, I have gutted my set up as far as I’m comfortable with and will be selling off gear provided our economy doesn’t dive head first into “Great Depression 2: the Rich have more than You”

Speaking of diving, I have been sitting on some cool footage of some saturation divers that live down at depth, and I have finalized my first piece with my new set up.

The audio is recorded from one of my Kontakt instruments in bitwig.

Hope all is well with you all, and fingers crossed for the MOD team.

8 Likes

I’m using the MOD Duo X in a pretty experimental context. Running a nonlinear duffing oscillator system on the Duo X, going through a 1950s tube radio. Sounds just as rough, nasty and unpredictable as it should. This is a short Instagram clip but thought to share it here in case someone is interested. I’ll share more stuff in the future featuring the Duo X among other gear.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cho9eYyDp4P/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

9 Likes

@Monday beautiful!

5 Likes

Thank you! It might not be exactly your bread and butter synth but it’s a wild thing for sure.

5 Likes

Another short clip featuring the Duo X. Fm & pulsar synthesis, feedback loop, granular delay & freezing. Organelle m generating the sounds and Duo X in charge of the effects.

Monday Idiot shared a post on Instagram: "A combo of fm & pulsar synthesis, feedback loop and granular delay & freezing. Organelle m generating the sounds and MOD Duo X in charge of the effects.

#electronicmusic #noisemusic #idm #fmsynthesis...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CiHcnhxjH2l/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

3 Likes

hey @Elk_wrath … loving your sound with this new setup!
deep and clean. :))))

3 Likes

Thanks Plutek!

I’m actually working on a project as we speak lol here is a screenshot of the video, it’s a trip and I’m sort of struggling with what direction I want to take with it.

The chord progression is mapped out, just need to begin sound selection and melody. I may need to loop the video once to hit 1 minute, but 30 seconds is still a track imo lol

I’ve been able to get some incredibly clean sound out of this setup.

I just slapped one of my ai generated album art/logos (I have 100’s in the same theme using dalle 2) over this little track I hand played, hopefully you enjoy!

Oh, and my logo/album art stuff has a theme:

Antlers with a crown and a celestial body framed in between the antlers. I use the moon for most.

All different styles, but I figured out how to sweet talk the AI to get the same theme, it’s very cool.

Edit: I’ll post the video projects on the discord in the #synths channel.

Final revision for today:

8 Likes