Building for Dwarf on Docker Mod-Plugin-Builder

I build for Duo on Docker Mod-Plugin-Builder image.
Is it possible to do the same for Dwarf?

thanks

1 Like

Yes, and DuoX as well.

With the image from cbix you need to specify which one you want to use: Docker

3 Likes

Nice!
Maybe wiki has to be updated about this.
Thanks!

3 Likes

HI, Iā€™m an aspiring developer here on macos m1
Trying to get the docker image, using the info here in this thread.
I get an error I dont understand

docker pull cbix/mod-plugin-builder
Using default tag: latest
Error response from daemon: manifest for cbix/mod-plugin-builder:latest not found: manifest unknown: manifest unknown

EDIT:
ah, the copy-able command on Docker was not complete!
had to be
docker pull cbix/mod-plugin-builder:moddwarf

2 Likes

Hi Paul, Iā€™m also dipping my toe into Mac M1 based LV2 development. Did you get the cbix/mod-plugin-builder:moddwarf to work? Iā€™m having some issues as described in Problems using mod-plugin-builder

Grab yourselves UTM and install a Debian vm through it. Works a charm

2 Likes

Iā€™d not come across UTM before @micahvdm , what a great app!
From nothing to having a working Debian 11 VM (No MOD stuff installed yet) took only about half an hour!
I went for the AMD64 option, which will run a tad slower on my M1 but will hopefully minimize any MOD buildchain issues.

Iā€™m using the arm64 on my side as pi-stomp is arm64 and so is mod dwarf. You wonā€™t need to cross compile anything. Iā€™m on a M2 MacBook Pro

2 Likes

thanks for the info on UTM!
I want to start developing soon, I havent even got a mod yet. Just want to set up the best possible toolchain in advance :wink:

1 Like

weā€™ll keep in touch here! Iā€™ll start out with some opensource simpler stuff, but my final goal is to bring my commercial app to the MOD, which now is on iOS only.

2 Likes

So Iā€™ve now an insalled Debian 11 ARM64 UTM vm and have been successful in installing/bootstrapping the mod-plugin-builder and been able to build some of the plugins. :slight_smile: Thanks again @micahvdm, Iā€™ve a fair bit of experience of running Debian in a VM (Usually ProxMox on a remote Mac Mini Host) so I suspect I will get on much better with UTM than Docker (Of which I have little experience)

2 Likes

installed UTM, debian 11 on my m1
something stupid here: Iā€™m in bash shell and I want to paste the clipboard content (clipboard looks allright)
ctrl-shift-v does not work
Any ideas?

1 Like

I found the same. The vm has an IP address and I just use my usual term emulator (iTerm2) to interact with it. Iā€™ve also been able to connect in this fashion with the VSCode remote development extension.

1 Like

wow, those are things I know next to nothing aboutā€¦ Still figuring out what is the smartest route for me, Iā€™m good enough in C++ and DSP, but my knowledge of linux is sub parā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve been playing with linux dev from a Mac for a few years but still am a linux n00b!
The definitive iTerm2 & Oh-my-ZSH Setup on macOS is one approach to getting a nice terminal setup. Kitty is another powerful Mac terminal emulator, but I find configuring it tricky.
I also use zsh and ohmyzsh on any linux box I am using with the Powerlevel10k theme and a NerdFont (*My favorites are FiraCode or JetBrains Mono *. If I want to go ā€˜full on terminal devā€™ I install Neovim and then LunarVim on the linux box.
I generally use VSCode on the Mac and install the Visual Studio Code Remote Development extension. When you first connect to a server, it will download and install the VSCode stuff on the server and then you can edit stuff as if it were local! I kick off builds via a terminal tho I suspect it could be configured in a VSCode launch script.

1 Like

thanks for the pointers!
I have to play around with it as soon as I get my dwarf, it is all a bit abstract preparation on my side nowā€¦ I cant choose yet between Docker or ā€œDebian via terminalā€.
If I understand correctly, with Docker I could just use a macos editor on a local file and then compile it in a Docker container. So I wouldnt need to do the whole bootstrap thing in the first place.

1 Like

I donā€™t have these issues on my side, did you use the Debian prebuilt from utm? If you look on the page for the download, thereā€™s some commands for getting the shared stuff working. I copy from macOS and paste straight into the Debian terminalā€¦

Edit: Linux | UTM Documentation

Follow this^

2 Likes

thanks for the link!
Iā€™ve checked the spice stuff that governs the clipboard sharing (spice-vdagent): installed it, but it allready was up to date.
so ctrl-shift-v not working is kind of odd.
I have installed the UTM preconfigured image ā€œdebian 11 (LDXE)ā€

1 Like

Can you copy text from Debian to Mac? Shut the vm down and check through the settings of the Debian instance, thereā€™s an option for clipboard sharing

1 Like

the clipboard is shared actually , i can see that in the clipboard manager in Debian. it is just that the keyboardshortcut doesnt work, so I canā€™t paste in bashā€¦

1 Like