Bluetooth Midi

Well, even a little thing like a popup, a warning label or a different background color would be of great help, if even someone “in the works” like you forgets about this from time to time! :smile: :smile:

Glad to read you’re already on it. Thank you very much.

1 Like

Because when the device is connected to the Web UI some functions are deactivated, including pedalboard switching via MIDI.

1 Like

At the moment I only use snapshot change via MIDI.
This works with the Web UI connected.
I have currently postponed changing a pedalboard.

Adding on what @Tarrasque73 said, the WebGUI takes over one functionality that doesn’t allow to keep that. It’s not so simple to get a workaround that allows both, that’s why it is currently not possible.

The pedalboard switching should be as simple as the snapshot. It’s only required to not do it with the WebGUI open.

Thanks., I’ve understand.

2 Likes

Just for talking,that’s how I’m trying to arrange my pedalboards.

Banks are not easily switchable. You have to go deep in the device menu to swap to another when not using the GUI. So the best option is to use them to organize pedalboards with the GUI and optimally go to stage using just one bank that contains all pedalboards you expect to use in the set and some more.

Pedalboards are long to load. You can’t expect to switch them without interrupting the sound, so they are best used intended to be switched between songs, except if you have a long silent part.

To change instantaneously sound in the middle of a song, you have 2 roads. Using the footswitches (or a midi controller) to turn on/off an effect (or using a switch plugin bypass a series of effects) or using snapshots, which easily allow the simultaneous change of multiple parameters.

So, my “best practice” would be to have one pedalboard per song (or per group, if the majority of the group’s songs are quite similar, say AC/DC) and use snapshots/footswitches to manage the different moments of the song (intro, verse, solo, whatever)

2 Likes

Now I have set up my Dwarf Rig for our DUO. Thanks for help!

The starting point is the iPad with the setlist programme “Songbook+” https://www.songbookplus.com/
All songs with lyrics/chords and the corresponding backing tracks (mp3) are saved. (I created this for the DUO)

Now I have entered the necessary “MIDI” commands for some songs in order to have a test environment. ( already tested now)
I had to buy a “Lighning to USB3 Adapter” for my iPad. I got it on “Willhaben.at” - it’s similar to eBay.
The MIDI commands are sent to the WIDI Bud via Bluetooth as described above without WebGUI. I now want to create 3 GRigs at the Moment.

The audio signal from the iPad goes via the Lightning adapter (because of the iPad battery capacity) to the USB-B port of an external audio interface.

The audio interface or possibly the PA mixer now gets 2 mono signals from the DWARF (guitar + vocal) and 1 stereo (USB-B) for backing.
Of course, the whole set does not fit into the gig back of the guitar. But a small pedalboard is enough to pre-wire everything.
(Did I ever mention that I’m creatively lazy and prefer to bring the setup to the GIG already programmed and wired. :wink: )
For me, setting up and especially removing the set after a GIG is terrible. :unamused:

1 Like

Hi folks,

I’m a new mod dwarf user and trying to setup widi jack.

The jack is connected as type a and appears to be functioning ok. iPad, midimittr and touch osc all recognise it however I can’t see it registered by dwarf and getting nothing through the serial hardware midi connections.

Have successfully hooked up a keyboard via usb and triggered the generators no problem so it seems like my issue is the serial ports and/or widi jack.

Any suggestions folks? My aim will be to use the widi jack with a korg air keyboard, for now I’m just wanting to test the system with the iPad…

Cheers! X

Do you have the little switch on the WIDI Jack flipped to use a type A TRS connection?
Are you sure that you are plugin the out from the WIDI Jack to the In from the Dwarf?
Do you have the WIDI jack power (with a USB cable connected to the USB C port of the WIDI Jack)?

I know that this may sound like silly questions and that some of them you sort of answered, but I’m double checking.

I personally use a WIDI Jack with the Dwarf (even yesterday) and have no problems. Just normally some confusion between ins and outs or the WIDI pairing to something else.

Thanks Jon,
I think I’ve checked everything:

• Definitely set to type A. If I switch to type B then the blue light is out and nothing works.

• The in and out connections are correct between the dwarf and Widi jack, I have tried reversing them to see if this makes a difference. It doesn’t although interestingly the Widi jack still powers and connects to the iPad successfully when the connections are reversed - not sure if this is significant or not?

• The Widi jack seems to power just fine from the midi cables but I have also tried it with the USB power connected as well - does not appear to have any bearing at all

Could I ask you - when you are using your Widi jack does it show up as ‘Widi jack’ in the Dwarf GUI midi ports setting? I have succesfully linked and Ampero Control pedal and a Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2 keyboard - both of these show up straight away and are named (connected via USB midi)

Do I somehow need to enable the midi hardware ports separately to the USB midi? Can’t find anything in settings to suggest this but it is almost like my Dwarf has the hardware ports deactivated somehow… It’s founders edition if that has any bearing…

Thanks for your help matey!!

x

You’re welcome

pairing should indeed do regardless of right or wrong connections.
But wait…are you pairing it with the iPad? Are you trying to send MIDI messages from the iPad to the Dwarf (via WIDI)?

I believe that is true if you use the MIDI in on the WIDI. This I’m not sure because currently I’m not using that.

No because you connect it on the serial MIDI ports and not via USB. Therefore it shows up with the name of the serial driver.

Over all your message I was getting this confusion and here even more. Are you trying to use the USB to connect and send MIDI to the Dwarf? The WIDI USB is just for power.

Hi - re the USB power, no, not using that to try and send data, I just tried it to see if powering the Widi jack this way helped at all. Scraping the bottom of the barrel!

Potential key point though - yes, I am trying to send midi data from my iPad. I have midimttr hooked up with Touch OSC and I’m trying to send pitch info to drive some of the sound generators on dwaft. I have a small virtual keyboard set up on Touch OSC.

As I play the keys on the iPad I can see the midi light flashing on the Widi Jack so I believe all of that is working ok, but nothing seems to be getting through to the Dwarf…

Re the naming conventions that makes perfect sense. So I should expect to use the port labled ‘hardware serial MIDI in’ - that’s the one I’ve been trying to use without success.

Does Dwarf perhaps not like midi from the iPad…?

I don’t see any reason for that. In any case, do you have anything else to try?
Check also this thread Looking for beginner tips for synth pedalboard

Thanks Jon,

Unfortunately nothing else I can try with the serial ports and widi jack

Korg air keys on order, I guess I may have to wait for that

Anything else you can think of…?

Not really.
I still feel that the problem is somewhere on the WIDI setup (or what is receiving).
Does the LED blink when you send a note from the iPad?

Otherwise, indeed it will be better to wait.

I just bought a Tp-link UB400 and connect to my tablet. What USB HUB can I use to expand the USB A on mod dwarf? Do we have a list for that? I want to use multiple midi controllers and the wireless dongle on USB A

All the ones I’ve tested have worked.
(I think any hub should work)

1 Like

was it blue? usb 3.0 or 3.1? or older ones like 2.0?

all of those kinds

1 Like

thank you thank you! :pray: