Bass Synth and Bass MIDI Plugins

MOD,

I have created 2 new plugins specifically for bass guitarists:

* JTBassSynth - Monophonic pitch-tracking bass synthesizer modeled on MXR-style bass synth pedals: eight voices, resonant ladder filter with envelope sweep, attack swell, glide and independent dry/synth levels. GitHub - jtemple967/JTBassSynth · GitHub
* JTMassMIDI - Monophonic bass-to-MIDI converter. Tracks the pitch of a bass guitar and sends MIDI notes with velocity and optional pitch bend. The audio passes through, so it can sit inline on a pedalboard. There’s a “Hold” mode where you can play a note and either have it hold indefinitely until you press the “Release” button or have the note change whenever you change notes on the bass. Either way, the note just holds with no decrease in sound. So you could add pads to the background of your song. GitHub - jtemple967/JTBassMIDI · GitHub

I’d like to make sure these are available for the MOD community. Not sure how to upload plugins or if those go through a specific process to get into the plugin site. Either way, happy to have them included if approved.

4 Likes

I’ll be keen to get that bass synth installed so i can have a go! Thanks. :blush:

I’m no authority on this, just a random punter (as the Brits might say), but I had success with the MOD Cloud Builder and the ‘Create Shareable Persistent Build’ option.

http://builder.mod.audio/buildroot

It’s just that you can only upload the .mk file so it will need to reference your repo and not local files.

There may be helpful info here: Using buildroot - MOD Wiki

And the bass synth tracks even guitar pretty well. You just have to play cleanly and think like a key, not a string.

Super fun.

Is it better to use the Bass MIDI unit into the Bass Synth? I was just using the Synth alone and had good results. Though I had to put a stern limiter on it to avoid some crazy volume spikes here and there.

I would not run the bass synth into bass midi, it would add too much latency. The bass midi plugin is really designed to pass midi into synth plugins.

OK, yeah, that’s how I used them. But as they appeared to be “paired” together, I wasn’t sure if you intended that.