AIDA-X or NAM as a matching EQ

Hi everyone!

I use Dwarf with my bari sax. To pick up sound I use special piezo pickup for sax (Nalbantov in my case because it has better frequency range than Piezobarrel). But out of the box this pickup is hardly usable for clear sound. I stack 3 instances of EQ and still it’s not enough. The question is: is it possible to use neural plugins to change signal frequency characteristics in a proper way using sound sample without significant sound distortion?

2 Likes

I suppose that, in theory, it is worth the try but I was wondering how you will do that.

When you model an amp or pedal you can provide a source (A) and destination file (B) with the exact timings, dynamics, notes etc. The “function” to go from A to B is what the AI learns.

What yould your A and B be like in a similar setup?
What would you want to model? your signal going through a bunch of EQ’s, compressors, , lowpass/highpass, etc?

1 Like

Well, for example I can record instrument through pickup (A) and through mic in the same time. And after some eq corrections of second record it can be used as B

3 Likes

Ah that sounds like an interesting experiment to conduct!

I already had cool results by using IR’s (no AI model involved) of a different guitar to spice up the piezo pickup of a cheap acoustic. If that worked, your idea surely is worth trying with the AIDA-X!

If you’re new to modelling for AIDA-X, you can check an article I recently published

The Orientation links good articles with info to start with while my article shows a bunch of stuff to keep in mind when attempting to model.

7 Likes

Thanks a lot! I will try and come back with results!

5 Likes

It sounds like you need something like the Tonedexter (Audio Sprockets | ToneDexter - Your Studio Sound for an Acoustic Pickup).

It would be pretty cool if a Tonedexter-style plug-in could be written for MOD, given the two available inputs… although the inputs on Dwarf are unbalanced, so maybe not…

2 Likes

For theses situations I’ve had fairly good results with the match EQ option of a FabFilter plugin in my DAW, whose values ​​I report in one or two X42 Parametric EQs from the Dwarf

1 Like

I’ve made audio files, but encountered problems uploading them, i get the message “AssertionError: Drive Folder Doesn’t Exists”. Maybe It’s impossible for those whose Google Drive root folder is named using cyrillic letters. And it looks as it’s impossible to rename it. Here I’ve uploaded my files, can anyone upload them to Aida-X Trainer, please? Dropbox - aidarefs

It is a known error, you have to rename a folder o do a quick change to the script. You can search in the forum for the details (sorry I am in a hurry now)

I couldn’t rename root folder on GD. When you’ll be less busy can you please explain how to change script or give me a link to an explanation?

Tried with NAM - unsuccesfully. “raise Error(‘unknown format: %r’ % (wFormatTag,))
wave.Error: unknown format: 65534”

Ok, I give up. I will leave this idea until these trainers become more user-friendly.

Without any access to code or even knowledge on how it is written, there is a possibility this points to either

unknown wav format
bad time format conversion

since we’re dealing with audio here, the first one isn’t so exotic.

Some things to consider:

• Are the files 48khz? (instead of the typical 44.1khz daws usually render by default)
  • Are the files the same length?
  • Have you tried saving the .wav files with another tool? (perhaps something goes wrong with the rendering?)
  • start from a incognito session in your browser (deleting cookies etc is such a drag ;))
  • Try creating a folder as close to the root of your google drive as possible when uploading the input and target.wav and create a folder name without spaces, underscores or whatever. then upload your files there. perhaps something is still going awry with a character/characterset
2 Likes

The real issue is a piezo pickup has a wildly different ohm rating than an electric guitar pickup, or a line source. Almost ANY piezo pickup preamp will fix your EQ problems. The ohm difference is what makes the frequency response curve skew and gives the pickup that “piezo quack”
Literally any piezo preamp. Then you’ll have DSP for whatever FX you want.

1 Like

this is NOT guitar pickup, this is completely different beast. you can hear the difference in my comment with sound samples above.

1 Like

I play the bari too and use the dwarf for more the 1 year. My humble advise. Replace ur piezo by an intramic (french techno) u will have the same 0 feedback thing plus a much better sound without equalitazion

2 Likes

You don’t have an equalization problem, you have an impedance problem. Plugging a piezo pickup into a device that has a low impedance input will drastically affect the sound, making it thin and harsh. Plugging it into a preamp or buffer with the input measured in the megohm range will improve things greatly. Something like the Grace Design preamps will work perfectly and, depending on the model you choose, will provide various degrees of EQ capability as well. Some of them have effects loops, so you could run the Dwarf in the loop and then use the built in DI to go to the FOH and the 1/4" output to go to a stage amp, if you use one. They are very high quality in terms of audio, as well. I love my Felix and my Bix.

1 Like

Well, І can’t afford 850$ system, alas. And also important thing: my beloved Otto Link sits very firmly on the neck, it’ barely possible to put cable below, and even if it can be done, this connection won’t live long

It’s not my case. this pickup is designed specially to play into line in. And it works in other way than guitar ones. It deals with air pressure, not instrument body vibrations. And the sound is not thin and harsh, on the contrary: lows and low-mids are enormously boosted and highs are not enough. And there are unpleasant resonances at 3.5kHz. Preamp doesn’t change much, not even in the right way.

1 Like

A piezo pickup requires a preamp to have the correct frequency response.

1 Like

I don’t know much about this particular device, but with some googling, they advertise that no preamp is needed, and it interfaces with fx pedals. However if the sound is quite different than when plugged into other devices it does suggest an impedance problem. Otherwise there’s no reason it would sound different on the dwarf.

p.s. cheers to all horn players! :slight_smile: