Acoustic IR to counter piezo quack

Hi guys,

I created a little testboard to counter the piezo quack of my Fender Hellcat acoustic guitar.

The IR I used was that of a Guild D-260ce found here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rILvexTe30Ff-jlRSEBEv8oDzEzD_ja3

the description has an error;
sample 1: WITH
sample 2: WITHOUT IR

Thanks @Matt for suggesting this method

I’ve put the Alembic mono amp + some EQ tweaks behind the IR profile in a IR cab sim

Then of course, for flavour, 2 parallel reverbs

In hte past I used the TAL II reverb but it gives way too much hiss!

13 Likes

That sounds great! I’m wondering if I can do something like this to replace my Fishman Aura. :thinking:

The Aura does sound fantastic. I suspect it is also IR-based, but proprietary Fishman stuff.

4 Likes

@Matt pointed out that I should check IR database - Acoustic IR for acoustic IR’s. There is a lot there!

With some clever and patient acoustic IR testing and pre-amping, you could get to be your own Fishman

In other sources, I found a lot of IR’s for cabinets, like my favourite “angled” fr(i)edman” profiles.

I saw in the Dwarf that there is also a folder for reverb IR’s, I wonder how that works. Is that one fixed way to emulate a certain room/setting?

I love this whole IR concept and how open source people approach it!

4 Likes

Hi @LievenDV

I have to say that for my taste the 1st sample sounds better.
Could you make another sample with only the IR ( no amp or eq after ).
I think that the 2nd sample went a bit far on the low mids but maybe that is just me.
Cheers

3 Likes

You are right
Because…

I MESSED UP
The FIRST sample is WITH the IR. (Can somebody edit that please @jon ? 🥸)
It’s fake news!

Even on my cellphone I could hear that …

3 Likes

Good news!
The sample with the IR sounds really Nice!

4 Likes

eheh was thinking the same. The first sample sounds great! Good job tamming that piezo sound. Sounds really clean and neat with the IR in it.

3 Likes

I’m glad I could help! Using an IR is of course not as good as using a good mic, but it allows for a much easier incorporation of effects into the signal, and it can really breathe some air into the standard piezo quack.

Besides, this is not really an either/or kinda thing. The vast majority of pro acoustic players - including titans like Tommy Emmanuel - use the pickup. Mic-ing up a guitar on stage is a pipe dream. Granted, high-end acoustic pickups with a mic blend can sound really good these days, but the vast majority can benefit from a good IR.

3 Likes

I have a Maton with a piezo/mic combo pickup incoming. :smiley: Love that sound!
Playing plugged in is my prefered way of playing anyway; the Dwarf will be my reverb/delay and vocal machine for acoustic solo gigs

4 Likes

That is for Reverb IR convolution plugins. You have one already in beta :wink: We have been testing it quite a lot.

Sorry @LievenDV, I just saw it too late (right?). It’s already fixed no? Or am I missing something?

EDIT: ah! You mean on the pedalboard page? I can’t do it myself, but I will check if someone can

1 Like

Indeed, the info on the pedalboard page is still wrong; thanks

oeh, something new to explore ^^

3 Likes

I learned that it may take a bit :confused: someone got a broken computer :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Love this board. Makes my Godin Lgxt sound more acoustic. Thanks

5 Likes